Reduce bed electrical consumption

I would like to understand if it is possible to implement an initial gcode that would choke the current absorption by the bad. During the heating of the bed we are at 1000watt absorption and my UPS is struggling. I don’t care if it would take longer to heat up, I just care about reducing the absorption

1 Like

The bed is fed directly from the AC mains and is not controllable other than on/off, as far as I can tell. You could do the opposite of what some in the US do and use a step-down transformer to 120V, this drops the power consumption of the bed by a lot. You’d need one capable of handling 500W.

2 Likes

I think you use the wrong type of UPS, you must use an offline, not an online.

The major point that differentiates between the online UPS and offline UPS is that the online UPS supplies power from the AC mains to the Load through the rectifier and inverter combination while the Offline UPS directly supplies power from AC mains to the load.

I use an APC ES 550 for the Bambu, PC, monitor without any issues.

1 Like

Hi there, do you already have the solution? I’m also currently facing the same issue, those initial 1000W load on 240V keeps tripping the breaker. I’m also thinking of using a stepdown transformer to 120V, so it will consume less power initially… Other choice is to use a huge power station.

1000 watts at 220 volts is only about 4.2 amps, which is not very much of a load. What else are you operating on that circuit, and what is the rating of the breaker?

on a standard 10A fuse, you can safely run 2 bambus on 220V. something is not good there, or you run extra devices together with printer. I run 4 P1S on 16A, only thing I need to watch is not 4 of them preheating at the same time. Once running, each eats up no more than 150W.

I have several lines with 5A and 10A breakers (at 220V). Unfortunately all the lines are saturated and I can only probably run a maximum of 500-600W without tripping the breaker. I know it won’t be a problem once it’s running, but that 1000W initial load is guaranteed to trip the breaker. My previous Ender 3 S1 runs at 300W during preheating, and drops to 90W during printing, and that ran flawlessly.
I might have to rearrange some of the lines for now.

Yeah, unfortunately all the lines in my house are being used with other devices such as refrigerators, A/C, etc. 500-600W of load is probably the max for each lines without tripping the breaker. It’s especially bad on my work room, since there’s only 1 line / breaker, and it’s used altogether with my PC, 2 monitors, speakers, A/C, and other small peripherals

Had similar issues, based on my observation, the bed doesn’t require a lot of power to maintain its temperature, it will only consume the maximum power during the heat-up process. So what I did was to limit its heat-up time by telling the printer to heat a 5C first and wait 15s before proceeding to the next 5C. If the printer is just heating a 5C, it won’t use 100% power due to the PID controller. This method seems to work for me.

Below are my changes to the Machine start G-code
Original Code

;===== heatbed preheat ====================
M1002 gcode_claim_action : 2
M140 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;set bed temp
M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;wait for bed temp

Modified Code

;===== heatbed preheat ====================
M1002 gcode_claim_action : 2
;M140 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;set bed temp
;M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;wait for bed temp

{if bed_temperature_initial_layer_single > 40}