RFID tag holder, location, inside AMS?

see attached.
i have orange PLA BAMBU filament. it is empty. i have some GENERIC ORANGE PLA filament. I want to use the RFID tag to tell bambu that the generic orange is BAMBU ORANGE (it works ok if i manually do that).
I saw the RFID HOLDERS in makerworld, that go into the spool hub, and hold hte RFID tag.
but the various rolls i have are different inner diameters.
SO, i designed THIS rfid holder, to fit on top of teh RFID SENSOR, in the AMS. it has one indent for the RFID tag, and i would put the RFID tag in there (taped in), and have it on the side of the sensor where hte new roll is going.

BUT, even if it sits over that sensor, with the RFID tag taped on, and hte RFID tag is at same diameter position as it would be on the roll, the sensor is not detecting the RFID tag.

QUESTION - does the RFID tag have to actually be on the filament spool, and ROTATING, or can the sensor read a stationary tag (suppose i even just held it there with a piece of cardboard)?
IF SO, is there a specific height it would have to be at?
I tried several times, having it sit stationary at the sensor, and was unsuccessful. the RFID tag itself works, because if i TAPE it onto the spool, at same position, and it rolls around, then it does get sensed correctly.

(NOte, this is not just for my orange filament, but for all future filaments,trying to figure out an easy way to get colors read of generic filamant that approximate the BAMBU filament,if bambu does not have them in stock)

thansk to all for any feedback

The RFID tag must move relative to the antenna so that the antenna can energise it and then receive a reply from the tag, which happens within milliseconds.

1 Like

thanks very much.
in the interim since i posted original topic, i did create a WAND that can hold the rfid, and i just wave that in front of the sensor, and that worked !
thanks for your feedback on this

i saw a couple of the spool rfid holders, but i stack my rolls flat, and any holder/insert into the spool, causes them to not be able to be stored well on top of eachh other

in any event, i’ve got it working !

1 Like

Would you mind sharing some more photos of the real thing and how you use it please? Very curious…
Tx

first picture - wand on print plate. two parts. wand is about 1 mm thick. front part has INDENT to hold the RFID tag. has matching cover on right side to cover over the RFID; couple drops of super glue gel holds the cover on well.

next picture, wand is assembled, and labeled as PLA BASIC. color reflects the origin of the RFID

plcture #3, filament roll is inserted (roll #1 WOULD be orange, in the real world), and waving theorange wand at the sensor for position #1. after about 3 or 4 passes of the wand, it read the RFID tag corectly.

this saves me from attaching anything to the spool itself, and wand is color coded, etc, etc…

:smile: Innovative to identify the filament at the start!
I wonder if any odometer reading for that filament SN is updated in the database :thinking:
It must be going negative or pegged at zero.
I saw in the OrcaSlicer Github chat some discussion on ideas on how to reuse RFID tags but no code yet.

identifying at the start is all i need. I don’t mind re-identifying,if i insert a roll; for the projects i do, if i get generic filament, the brands i get (duramic, jesse, others) seem to work similarly with the BAMBU settings, so i just want to call ORANGE as ORANGE, etc.

I come from history of creality CR 10 s pro V2, and Creality 6 SE (both since just before covid), - put filament in, gave it a temperature, and ran the projects !! for now, we converted te CR 10 to a direct extrude nozzle,and i use TPU in it for projects, have it dedicated to that. still very reliable. but the bambu, X1c, with the AMS, is fantastic for most of m other projects

The nfc tags can be reused infinitely. The AMS/Slicer don’t actually track the filament usage. I believe the ams figures out roughly how much filament is left by rolling the spool back and forth a few times after inserting it. Doing that allows ams to measure the resistance it takes to spin the spool and estimate the leftover filament.

That’s why if you take the NFC Ttag from an old and empty spool and stick it to a new or partial one, it roughly knows how much the spool has left. Those measurements can be off of course if you use the nfc tags on 3rd party spools that have a different spool weight