Rise of the "Available for a Limited Time" models

This is the problem with the internet, everyone being “anonymous” they feel more comfortable doing unethical behaviors. (I know, stating the obvious.)

“So what if I lie a little. It doesn’t mean anything. The vast stream of users flowing by won’t notice, and if they do I won’t see them ever anyway.”

“You got something for free, you should be happy about it! Stop complaining that it wasn’t mine to give away.”

Sorry for feeding the trolls, I am pretty sure that is all I am doing… (Unethical comments commence.)

A thank you is always appreciated. Please don’t get me wrong, I am glad to pay for a model. I got into 3D printing and design because of the community. What you do with your models is YOUR business, my comment was strictly referring to the pay-to-play through subscriptions that sites like Thangs and MakerWorld are leaning towards. Didn’t mean to offend you.

If a model or print profile is good, and users are happy with the result, the designer gets more than a generic thank-you on MW. It gets a star-rating which is a quantified thank-you from the users, and reward points from MW.

On the other hand, if a model is bad, not printable or not work as described, and therefore wastes users’ time and filament, it shouldn’t get a thank-you.

2 Likes

It should get the heave-ho.

1 Like

Dear PolarBear,

My comment was not directed to you; it was just a sad realization that ‘no good deed will remain unpunished.’ It was a generalization for those who complain about free stuff!

Do not get me wrong; I do not support publishing ‘damaged’ designs. Personally, I try to print-test everything I publish. Sometimes, errors may pass… that’s why I always try to help anyone who has problems with my designs after the sale.

And I do not support those who steal someone’s work and making a profit!

Regarding selling personal work, anyone is free to do it as they see fit. If I ask a buyer to dance naked in the rain to complete the transaction for my design, as long as it’s legal, it’s my business and my business only! No one is forced to buy my stuff. Some buyers will ask for a fee, and others may negotiate variations of that fee. The buyer has the power to choose whether or not to complete the transaction.

If we are happy or not about that… that’s another story!

Costa

No kidding! I just visited Thangs for the first time. Now I am glad MW took some quick action. MW would have been like that by now if they allowed the “limited time” trick.

It also looks like MW makes no exceptions (so far) because I haven’t seen any “limited time” claims in the past few days on MW.

If only MW took the same no-exception approach when enforcing the rule regarding the photo requirement, so as to weed out models that were not test-printed. It would have helped users avoid wasting their time and filaments.

The thing about Thangs is that they have “leaderboards” and if you post a model you’re on that weeks leaderboard. Whoever gets the most likes/downloads/follows gets higher on the leaderboard. The top three in each category get $300, $200, and $100 in MatterHackers/3D Jake giftcards. So that’s why everyone pushes for quick downloads…

1 Like

Another limited tie model, promoting an external site as their main location and currently trending.

3 Likes

Another one of those “limited time models” while promoting an external site in the process. Plus it’s an entry to a contest. @MakerWorld Is this even allowed? I feel that it’s a trick to jack up the download count when you put pressure for people to download now since it will just be available for limited time? One can just take it down without saying available for limited time if that’s the original intent.

It’s limited time for just the contest too!

Uggh, cheap.

3 Likes

https://makerworld.com/en/community-guidelines

1. Do not post advertising information or links on your account name, description, pictures, etc. Affiliate links or other promotional materials included in the profile are not allowed.

I’m not sur if this only applies to the user page or model page as well. It’s 100% clear to me