Safe way to clean PETG-CF?

I am looking for a way to clean a PETG-CF print. This print is around drinks and it is very likely some will end up on the print. I am looking for a way to clean it. I do not want to wash it in the sink or submerge it in water because if the print is not water tight water could end up inside it and cause mold. I also read that disinfectant wipes can cause micro cracks due to ammonia. And alcohol can cause the surface finish to change.

Any input?

What are you trying to clean from the print?
How dirty is it?
I didn’t notice any reaction with PETG-CF and Isopropyl alcohol, but I wasn’t looking for it.
I will try to do a quick check if it affects the surface and let you know.

1 Like

I would be cleaning off things like soda or beer

Your best option is to seal it with epoxy or a few coats of clear spray paint. The drinks might stain it otherwise.

1 Like

I have some costers in PETG-CF. I cleaned with dishwasher and water and noticed no visible change. Note that my print is not as shiny as you may get with a low-speed print.
As you mentioned, yours isn’t watertight. Thus, the main issue will not be the water but the drinks, such as soda. As the water evaporates, you must deal with the leftovers, such as sugar, which aren’t easy to remove.
As @SoupMan69 pointed out, the best solution is to seal/coat the print. If it matters, you can use food-safe sealings; otherwise, epoxy or other resin is a safe choice.
It will, however, affect the print look.

1 Like