Seamless 3kg Filament & AMS Integration for Continuous Printing

Hello Forum,

I’m reaching out to share an idea I’ve been pondering over and to seek your insights or solutions. My goal is to use 3kg filament spools in tandem with the Automated Material System (AMS) for my printing projects. The vision is for the printer to automatically switch to a corresponding filament loaded in the AMS once the external 3kg spool runs out. This setup would ideally allow for the utilization of more economical 3kg spools for the bulk of print jobs, without the worry of running out of filament, especially overnight. The AMS would thus serve as a backup, kicking in only when the primary 3kg spool is depleted.

Has anyone here experimented with a similar setup or found a workaround for this scenario? Any guidance or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

It’s not available, but a feasible way to solve this would be the ability to set an AMS spool as backup for an external spool. Might be worth adding a feature request for something like this.

In the meantime you could respool a 3KG spool into smaller 1KG spools and load those into the AMS. This would afford you the ability to have up to 4 1KG rolls as backup for each other. Not ideal and requires more work, but possible.

I’d like to start utilizing 3KG spools myself and it’s a problem I’d like to solve without relying upon a filament respooler if I don’t have to. If I come up with a better solution, I’ll make sure to share :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may be able to fake it out if you put a mostly full spool in the AMS then feed your 3KG filament into the AMS feeder so it travels over the “dummy” spool. Your big spool will need to be very easy to rotate so it doesn’t cause feeding issues. Of course you have to get the filament through the lid somehow. Maybe just drill a hole and stick some ptfe tube in it. Or remove the cover. I imagine this will work for all 4 slots. If you are doing color changes make sure the filament can retract ok.

Thank you,

Respooling, as suggested by RANDOMKHAOS, becomes costly when you have to pay employees for it. :wink:

Attempting to drill a hole in the AMS, as advised by olendorf, might be effective - I’ll give it a try.

However, a more efficient approach would be submitting a feature request. Where can I submit one?

There are a couple of places you can submit feature requests. The easiest is right here on the Bambu Labs forum: Feature Requests - Bambu Lab Community Forum. I don’t see any that perfectly align with your need, so you’ll want to make a new topic.

The other method is to submit the request on the Bambu Studio GitHub. There’s already a feature request, so you may want to tack on your want so it gets more attention.

Great, Thank´s RandomKhaos !