Selecting custom filaments in the AMS

As you did directly reference me :slight_smile: Did you check the date I was writing this information? At that time, custom profiles was not available for the AMS. Since than there have been updates by the Bambu team on their printers.
But I still found it convenient that I have my custom profil in OrcaSlicer - and those custom profils you mentioned with color-temp is still possible. And in the end - the profil you used during slicing is the master for the print process. Not the ‘profil’ which is loaded in the AMS at the start of the print.

I will be honest and say at first I missed it (date necro).

However

EXACTLY! I wish i can do it the same way in OrcaSlicer, but I cannot (AFAIK)

• I have no Custom Filaments menu (the same way as Bambu)

Bambu Studio

Orca Slicer - no custom section

Yes, I could save whats reaally a “preset” in Orcaslicer filaments section, but thats not aa new custom “Filament” with a diff master Filalment ID for the AMS from what I can figure out - happy to be wrong.

Eg Created a new DruiD Test filament, from the Generic PLA (or any of the other premade system filaments) - and it inherits that original filament. Its not ints “own” parent filament in its own right - if that makes sense.

1 Like

Well, i just installed the 1.8.2.56 hoping the filament handling would have been improved. Sad to say, it is still a mess. Ok, i have a new menu now to create my profiles. But still i found NO way to assign these profiles to the spools in the AMS.

Normally i don’t care which filaments were used to create a project. The only ones that matter are the ones in my system. So there must be an easy way to assign them to the current project replacing the ones in the project.

2 Likes

The issue seems for those that use a lot of projects from MakerWorld.

Those profiles downloaded from there all comes stupidly with custom profiles that OVERWRITE your own. Only chance to use it is to re-sync AMS unless you want to spend 2-3 minutes on going and checking what brand/type/colour is loaded right now on your printer AMS…

Extremely stupid for those that uses printer far away from their PC (printer is downstairs…)

I actually considering sending it back and going back to using Voron with rabbit, too much hassle with something so simple. And worst part is that it is issue created by Bambu, so how wonderful people work there if they already took a code from a public repo and make it worse :confused:

I hate Bambu Studio with all my heart, the worst piece of fork in a long time…

1 Like

Is this being taken care of? Really need this fixed makes no sense!

2 Likes

Just a heads up… I tried making custom filament profiles in Bambu and they were not visible in AMS. Then I switched to Orca Beta (latest) and it works perfectly! I had to recreate all customs filaments, as ones made in Bambu are not visible on AMS or Orca. But once that was done, all is well and seeing all custom filaments on AMS including from printer directly. Seems there is some bug with Bambu on macOS anyways.

1 Like

To make your BambuStudio presets filaments visible to OraceSlicer, don’t you just have to point it to the former’s directory via import presets?

With the lastest release firmware for P1S I strangely lost a couple of the custom presets I’ve made before but not all of them… It wasn’t possible to select anything other than system default presets for the AMS before but after the firmware update it is now POSSIBLE to select custom filaments, but there are a few issues:

Custom filaments selected using the pen icon menu will clear themselves and be read as generic pla upon Bambu Studio restart.

If a filament has the BambuLabs RFID tag, it will only display an eye icon instead of the usual pen icon and you can’t select custom made filament profiles for them, UNLESS you click on the ambiguously designed refresh icon at the top and interrupt it’s detection process by selecting a custom filament before it identifies the RFID tag. Weird workaround, and the field also empties itself on BS restart.

Weirder still, if you have two BL RFID filaments of the same type (I had PLA matte) at the same time, one of them will empty itself upon clicking the Sync button when you prepare your file.

Bambu Labs is doing a lot of witch craft to make the motor noise cancellation happen but these weird issues are what made me believe they’re actually using some uncontrollable dark magic to code.

Attaching some screenshots:

2024-01-03T18_59_58-05_00_TWP-X570-WIN10(bambu-studio)

A1 says PLA but clicking sync returns an error. When you edit the slot you’ll see that it’s actually emptied.
Also ran into a rare bug where A3 refused to identify the RFID tag, fixed and can’t be reproduced after restart.

2024-01-03T19_09_15-05_00_TWP-X570-WIN10(bambu-studio)
Sometimes the set filament is emptied after restart, other times they empty as soon as Sync is clicked.

Hello, new user here… I just created an account to say ALL of this is sooooo confusing to me! :woozy_face:!

I expected the whole filament ‘management’ to be explained at for example wiki.bambulab. com/en/bambu-studio/create-filament (I’m not allowed to post links) but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Please, please, please update it to show how we are expected to manage our collection of filament rolls.

If I have, for example, 20 rolls of filaments from non-standard brands in different colours, do I need to create 20 different user profiles? For every nozzle size? For different temperatures/speeds? And again after every calibration? I don’t understand.

I just managed to create a “Giantarm PLA Silk” custom filament, based on a ‘Generic’ filament, but now it shows up multiple times with the printer name and different nozzle sizes attached to the name? Under this custom filament I now have to create various ‘user profiles’ that then appear as well? After I (re)calibrate the filament to add a ‘Factor K’ and then a ‘Flow ratio’ it again asks to create new profiles? I can edit (but not rename?) some profiles, can delete some profiles, but other profiles seem so be ‘master’ profiles on which others depend so they can’t be deleted?

And then there is the ‘Device’ tab under which, I assume, the AMS is linked, which is different from the AMS settings under the ‘Prepare tab’? I have to sync them? Or resync them? Why is there a difference between sync and resync? Under the Device-AMS settings I can select ‘Factors of Flow Dynamics Calibration PA Profiles’ (but not edit the Factor K manually, it’s greyed out)… But settings don’t save, and/or don’t sync, or they simply change with those under the ‘Prepare’ tab.

It’s obvious that I’m very confused and frustrated, and can’t even clearly explain the many many questions I have about all of this, and I’m sorry to say, but all this is a confusing mess in Bambu Studio.

Maybe it’s best if I keep a record of all my filaments and settings in a Word document, and only buy filaments from brands that Bambu Studio knows?

Please update the wiki with the workflow (new) users should follow to manage their (dozens of) filaments… :tired_face:

4 Likes

yeah i was thrown too. I am new to the Bambu world and AMS - but the sync button has screwed me, TWICE! I wish it could SYNC but in reverse, so my custom FLOW RATE CALBRITED Overture PETG filaments can show correctly in the AMS.

Unfortunately, I am also a new user of the Bambulab X1C.** All the videos on YouTube are full of praise, but the machine does not live up to it, nor to its price. Did everyone get it for free? Where are the videos that point out these shortcomings? Right from the start, I’m dealing with vertical waviness on prints. The cabinet is diagonally crooked by 2 mm and then there is the ridiculous setting of different filaments. How can such a simple thing, which can be done intuitively, be messed up like this? Despite all the praise, you can see on this machine that it is a “Chinese made machine”.

1 Like

I think it could work like this:

• One data storage for filament types (you don’t want to reenter this for every spool)
  • One data storage for the filaments in your stock (include the color here)
  • One data storage for the current load of the printer (AMS and manual)
  • One data storage for the filaments used in a project (the author had reasons to choose these, include color)

When you load a new project the software should ask you how it should handle the filament:

• all filaments fit → fine, ready to go
  • fitting filaments in stock → advise to place them into the printer (be aware of the positions)
  • out of stock → ask the user to load filaments and to decide which filament should replace which one (ask the user to save a copy of the project for later usage)

Still a bit complicated but it sounds straight forward to me. The problem is that Bambulab does not care about your stock currently.

1 Like

This is wild, are we being punished for using custom filaments?

The wish list of basic functionality here is:

• Define custom filament information in one place, for use in slicer and AMS selection
  • AMS selection of custom filament should be simple, persist, and reflect in slicer
  • Ideally AMS selection should also sync across apps / to the printer

Currently there are multiple places to define new filament types that don’t sync up, any changes made to AMS get reverted, and filaments need to be re-selected in the slicer anyway. How is this logical?

5 Likes

I have discovered that Resync will always repopulate to what was set at the printer. You cannot change the filament type and/or color in the app nor the PC and have that flow to the printer.

To set up the custom filaments, you need to use your pc (perhaps app or printer…have not figured how to do that yet). Once you do the Resync, you will find your custom filaments available at the printer to assign to the appropriate filament.

I have not yet figured out how to push a custom color or create a custom color at the printer, however.

This is however horribly inconvenient. Every time you hit “resync” it will just reset all my custom profiles to the “Generic PLA” from the AMS settings.
I’d much rather have AMS settings unified with slicer settings or at least the feature to create AMS profiles, so I can select my own “Sunlu PLA” or “Prusament PLA” if I want to.

How does this work if you have a K factor from doing the calibration. I cannot see anywhere it uses that except the AMS. I don’t know why that doesn’t seem to be in the filament profile in the slicer. I would think it would be. If it its then I haven’t found it.

Is there any solution to this? I finally decided to create custom calibration profiles for my filaments, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to select the filament in the AMS filament selector. Why is managing filament profiles so confusing??? :frowning_face:

see: