Selecting custom filaments in the AMS

When selecting the filament that’s loaded in the AMS, I cannot select one of the new filament presets I created. I can only see the system presets.

How can I choose the presets that I made? Because I want to print Meta PLA which has a minimum temperature of 180° so I have made a preset with a lower minimum temperature but I cannot choose it. And then when I choose one of the system presets, I cannot change the nozzle temperature limits because the values are greyed out

Does anyone have any advice? What’s the point of creating custom filament presets, if you cannot choose those filaments to be in the AMS???

only the system presets available

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-19 om 22.59.08
no way to change the min and max nozzle temperature (sure I can in that filament preset, but I do not want to change that preset, I want to choose the one I created)

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-19 om 23.02.10
User presets I created

6 Likes

I have this same question as well. I have created 6 custom filaments (basically per roll I had dry), and none of them can be used on the AMS. I can manually set the temp “per print” but not a default for the roll in the AMS.

2 Likes

I think some sort of FAQ is needed :slight_smile: Same/Similar questions pops up regularly (on the other hand I understand the reason in this particular case).

First important factor: The type of filament in the AMS and used during slicing in Bambu Slicer have to match in order to be able to select the slot for printing in the AMS. The type is e.g. PLA and it takes not into account any brand name (can be generic, Bambu, Polyterra, etc)

Second important factor: The printer will print with the settings of the presets used during slicing. This means, if you defined e.g. to print with 180°C, the printer will respect it (hopefully, otherwise the concept would be strange). Keep in mind, the standard settings in the AMS (and those matches the standard settings in Bambu Slicer) take into account that a higher temp is needed in case you want to print with standard print settings. If you lower the speed accordingly, it can be possible that you can print with lower temp.

Yes I understand it works like that.

I just want to be able to see somewhere in the software, anywhere really, where I can specify which exact type of filament is inside the AMS at that time (even unrelated to any print settings, just a possibility for a custom name would be fine)

I don’t know about you guys, but to me that idea seems about as basic as can be for a multi material printer

6 Likes

One would assume it works this way. But what then, is the point of showing these nozzle temperatures here:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-20 om 21.48.44

What are these temperatures? I understand where they come from, they come from the system profile “Generic PLA” but why are they shown here. And why are they in a box which indicates they can be adjusted, but they’re greyed out.

The thing is, I think I understand how it all works, and If I don’t I will search until I do.

This is me searching… because it just doesn’t make sense to me

2 Likes

As I mentioned, from an UI-perspective it is the opposite of intuitive and confuses more than it helps. Taking into consideration that there are surely a lot of people new to 3D printing buying this printer as it provides an even lower barrier out of the box to be successful.

I really hope that Bambu invest on that front some time on the drawing board to improve :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would also love clarification on these settings. It’s not clear to a noob user that the filament heat is set in the slicer and that the heat settings in the AMS are meaningless(?). It’s also not clear if you create a custom type how the AMS will know which filaments it will allow you to select to print that object. i.e. if I name my Overture PLA something custom like “Overture main”, how will it know which filaments to allow me to choose for that? Mostly I just want to be able to apply custom filaments to my AMS system, like the poster of this question.

+1

The AMS filament settings are just for reference, I just ignore those and change it in my slicer on what I actually have in the AMS. Just don’t hit the sync button. I agree this is kind of messed up and confusing.

1 Like

It would be great if macros were used allowing custom ams settings to be dropped in when selecting different ams spools at print time

I had the same problem. When setting up filament types in the AMS don’t choose any filament type leave it blank that way when you slice it will use the filament type you choose and when you go to print it will just ask you if you want to use that location. and it will have a ? is the spot.

1 Like

I purchased a AMS now and see that it does not take the values from what I defined in the slicer before. an example is volumetric flow rate. I set it to 8 so that it prints slower, now I have done a test print and it prints with the generic profile speed of 200mms for outer walls. with volumetric flow of 8mm3/s this speed cannot be reached and I don’t want it to be reached :confused:

What did you where? Did you set a custom profile for your filament with the 8mm³/s? And which ‘generic profil’ you mean? The standard 0.2 profile or did you reselect the generic PLA (as example)?
If you used the generic PLA profile it is clear that it will use the 12mm³/s.

Show you settings and we can identify the issue (or post your project 3mf-file)

1 Like

I have read now the thread again and it has to be my fault. So if we have a custom profile for a filament with a custom volumetric flow we should not select any profile in the devices tab of the ams?

I try it now this way and it seem to print slower like i wanted it

Exactly - general rule: if you have a custom profil for a filament, don’t use or sync the profiles from the AMS.

1 Like

I am less concerned about the actual Filament profiles, I want other types of filament on the AMS, as the list is not exhaustive at all. The rest of the management can be done in the slicer1

1 Like

It’s wild to me that it’s been 11 months since the original post and there has been no fix for this. I just got my X1C the other day after Black Friday and coming from Prusa Slicer where I just create a filament profile and the printer prints according to that profile, I’m struggling a lot. I figured out how to create the filament profile and custom name in Bambu Studio, but I just came to the same realization as the original poster that I can’t manually select my custom filament profiles for the AMS.

But it actually gets worse than that and I really need help with this. I created a custom profile for Atomic PETG and have the filament loaded in the AMS. The AMS is calling it the Generic PETG profile. I made sure not to sync to the AMS when slicing so it should be using the custom temps from the profile for Atomic PETG right? WRONG. Atomic PETG is supposed to have a bed temperature of 80°C, and the Generic PETG profile is set to 70°C. Even though I clearly sliced my part and printed with the Atomic PETG profile selected, my printer still decided to make the bed temperature 70°C! This is just baffling to me. I watched at least 100 different reviews and tutorials about this printer and not one explained how infuriating the interface between Bambu Studio and the AMS is. Bambu Studio honestly feels like a huge step down from Prusa Slicer.

1 Like

Sounds like you might be better off using Orca Slicer.

4 Likes

As mentioned in The new X1 Firmware Update there is an Option in The upcoming Bambu Studio 1.8.1 to create custom Filament profiles and assign them to the AMS. I’m also waiting for it.

1 Like

As soon as it has custom filaments… (or working the way I want it to be lol)

Dont really understand this statement… its exactly how it works for me, admittily I am using BETA Bambu studio, with all the custom filaments working etc.

I have a curious niche thing I am workign through. but

1. AMS uses a filament ID - so linked to Parent Filament, a system or custom one
  2. Presets will link to that Filament ID - so AMS will use that “filament” you have assigned, with the Printer applying Preset values eg, Cost, nozzle, bed temps etc etc etc. during extrusione etc
  3. If you Sync\Resycn then yes, it identifies the Filament ID - so the parent one, it WILL change away your presets in the the drop down screen.

My NICHE issue I was taking about - is a specific need to address # 3, removing human error, by actuallyt just having the a) The Master filament as that one and only Filament ID b) its named specifially egt DruiD-FLA-Green-220 -b) and that has its own and single PA and K factor profile linked.

This lets me have a vvery simple workflow, due to the capability of the people using it and\or their accesibility and inclusion needs. They a) Change the physical filaments in the AMS to their prefered filaments\colours. b) Select those physical filament in the slicer by their named dropddowns c) Finally “Re\Sync” the AMS - adjust the model and print it.

As each filament is the one and the same “master” filament (ID) - nothing in slicer visibly changes - the printer gets the right Preset values and calibration profile and just works. TheO Overhead here is the admin e.g. DruiD-PLA-Green-220, DruiD-PLA-Red-220, DruiD-PLA-Silk-230… etc etc. vs just having “DruiD-PLA” with a bunch of presets and calib\k values tight to that single parent “DruiD-PLA” filment… as yes - in this case, syncing overights bback to “DruiD-PLA”.