Sending print jobs to a queue if the printer is busy

Hi,

it would be nice to send a job in something like a queue if the printer is busy.
If the printer has finished the jobs can be started from the queue.

regards Michael

21 Likes

This is a great idea, could be very useful.

1 Like

Sending jobs to the printer SD card would be simpler, more useful, and not need any printer UI changes.

2 Likes

Maybe. But I can right now already reprint via Bambu app. Why don´t use this for the Queue ? The prints could have a staus like “hold” or “done”.

regards MP

2 Likes

Not all of us can reprint from the Bambu app because not all of us are happy to give the Chinese government access to the models we print. I have only ever used the app to log the printer into an account so it can check for updates and I am annoyed as hell to have to do that.

Someone has to be at the printer to remove the last job and tell it to start another. Starting from SD card is already there. At the printer can you start a model from the cloud? It seems to the only way models get stored in their cloud is by printing them. That is as dumb as sneakernet being the only way to store models on the printer SD card (If you hadn’t discovered the printer ftp server).

2 Likes

@Michipapa,

this only makes sense when you have a robot that opens the door and exchanges the plates… If you get one that does this job, it should also be able to start the next print. :wink: No offense intended…

Best of luck

Chris

That is not quite correct. Only because the feature is usually used in fully automated systems doesn’t make it useless in other circumstances.

For example I often prepare multiple plates at a time and while I could save this to the SD that is just a less user friendly print queue where I have to manually check what I have already printed and what still needs to be printed on larger projects. A “Print Next” function would keep track of this for me so I wouldn’t have to think about any of this after I’ve put it on the queue and I can even ask someone else to take the print of and continue the queue when I’m not home.

Another situation this comes in handy is when multiple people are using the same printer. Granted you all need to be using the same account but that is not a big issue. This allows everyone to just add a print to the queue and ensures continuous up time of the printer. When your print is done you just take it off and start the print of the next person. This becomes extremely beneficial in organisations/companies/research groups/universities/maker spaces etc. where a centralized and integrated method of keeping track of printing jobs and their order is quite important.

I for one am very much still rooting for a print queue.

13 Likes

^^ anyone using bambuslicer in a print farm setting with employees needs this, im surprised it didnt come standard

2 Likes

This is Incorrect, it might only make sense for your normal application

1 Like

Yes, please! This would be highly beneficial. I have a large number of orders I need to print parts for each day. I wish I could spend time upfront queuing up everything that needs to be printed for the day. After that the only thing I need to worry about is clearing parts and confirming the next print.

It’s a tedious process to go back to the computer between each print, start the next one, and keep track of what needs to be printed vs what I’ve already printed.

I have individuals helping me clear build plates while I’m away. It would be so easy if they only had to clear the plate and confirm that the next print can start. I end up having to send the next print from wherever I am at that moment. Please add this functionality :pray:

8 Likes

Please implement this feature, it would help a lot with bigger prints with multiple plates.

2 Likes

Yes! Please implement this. I’m not always local to my printer, so it would be great to send it a bunch of jobs and then when I get back I can just swap plates and hit go. Or occasionally someone else swaps plates for me, so I can do all the set up and they can just deal with plates.

1 Like

Old thread and not a real fix, but when i have a multi-plate project, i send each file to the printer but cancel it right after the download finishes. Then later, i can just reprint from print history. If a print finishes while im at work, i call home and have someone clear the build plate for me. Then i go to print history in bambu handy and start the next print from work.

Our own allocated cloud space would be nice. One that can be used even when no printer is active. Slice/save to cloud/print from cloud all as seperate steps. Instead of save to cloud and print from cloud being combined like now.

Another awesome option would be local cloud. Using our own pc as the cloud. Save to and print from a local or networked hdd in a pc.

3 Likes

Don’t know about the P1x, but with the X1C it is quite easy: I use the „Send“ feature of OrcaSlicer (should be available in Bambu Studio as well) to send all my prints – except the very first one – to the SD card. Then, whenever a print is completed, I just select the next one from the printer’s display, deselect the filament calibration and hit „Print“. As all files already printed have a little clock icon in the corner of their thumbnail I can easily recognize them and won’t accidently print the same file twice or omit one. Much easier than the „print and cancel“ option and almost as quick and comfortable as a print queue. It even has the advantage that I can change print order anytime if a high-priority print comes up. Again, this might not be practicable or even possible on the P1x but perfectly fine on the X1C. I just have a feeling that most people don’t even know about this feature.

1 Like

@Lemming Nice. I guess I do it this way because the sd card reader on my x1c died and I chose not to deal with bambu support again. lol

@Lemming

Thanks, that’s a good idea! But I cannot find the command “send to sd card” in the Studio. A screenshot would be fine.

This is from OrcaSlicer, but it should be the same in Bambu Studio:

After slicing the plate, just click on the little arrow left of “Print plate”, then select “Send”.

I agree. You can upload jobs to Octoprint even when the printer is busy.When the current job is completed you start the any one job in the queue.

I’d like this feature as a way to be able to start a job from the Bambu Handy app or the printer itself without having to get on my computer just to start a print.
I know I could send to a micro SD card but when printing from the SD card Bambu Handy doesn’t give status notifications. That’s even stated by Bambu FAQ on the Wiki.

Landed here wondering if I could do this- would love to be able to slice up a bunch on my pc, send and then start from the app later