Shiny to matte when printing spheres

I’ve noticed when printing a spherical shape, the bottom layers are shiny and the rest is a more matte look - without ever switching the filament. I noticed this for all filament brands and types - though it is more pronounced for darker colors.

What’s crazy is that the shiny to matte transition isn’t at a certain height or where support touches, but seems to be related to the triangles within the model itself. What could possibly be causing this effect??

The effect is less pronounced on my smaller models but you can still see it:

Here is a Bambu matte black filament version. Much less pronounced, but still the same effect. And it’s clearer in person. Weird that it’s always the same set of triangles as the large Bob-omb above.

Any ideas or tips on how to reduce or completely remove this effect? It’s weird that it’s only on the bottom. I would expect some sort of symmetry if it was the printer or a clear transition layer if it was the filament. But this must be a deliberate setting or bug because of how it follows the triangles on the model.

PLEASE HELP I need to fix my Giant King Bob-Omb. No Bob-Omb should have to live a life as dual colored as this fella especially when their lives are so short and end in eruption…Poor guy needs a new body :slight_smile:

Usually this type of difference in shine is due to a difference in speed.
Slow speed: Glossy finish
Fast speed: Matte finish

You can check this in the Preview tab in BBS and select speed in the top selection box. See if the difference in speed you see correlates to the differens in shine.

2 Likes

OMG you nailed it!

And for reference here are my current speed settings in the slicer

Not quite sure which of these setting is causing the bottom layers to print so much slower but I will play around with them and see if I can get a consistent speed across the entire print. THANK YOU :slight_smile:

The speed settings dont matter so much. They are only potential speeds. Depending on the model it will either print slower or at the max speed.

You need to check the speed preview… Select speed instead of Line type.

Sorry, I had too much coffee. XD See my post above yours. I made the edits you requested already. But appreciate the additional context for others viewing this post :slight_smile:

What settings do you recommend I change for having a more consistent speed across my print? I don’t care if it’s all really slow or all really fast. I want to optimize for the color right now. You mentioned the speed settings are only approximate. Are there other settings that are better to tune? Or am I stuck at the whim of the geometry in my model?

You need the slow speeds for the overhangs on the bottom parts. So the only thing you can do is slow down the speeds of the rest of the outer walls to be the same as the bottom part.

1 Like

I turned off slow down for overhangs and the speed is consistent now. Though it is all relatively fast. I will try it out to see if it works. Hopefully I won’t need to go with slow speeds the whole way. Thanks again for the help!

I understand that speed changes can cause the finish to be glossy or matte.
I don’t understand the jagged lines between glossy and matte unless that is an intentional feature of the model, maybe to suggest how it shatters when exploded?
If speed were the only cause, it would have to change every few mm on the same layer.

Not intentional on my part :joy: The model is a high res sphere from tinkerCad, along with a few cutouts for the holes and threads. The jagged interface is a result of the sphere I used from tinkerCad, one of my first 3d models. If I were to rebuild this, I’d make a spherical object in fusion or blender with much higher resolution.

I am a little surprised that bambu slicer follows these triangles when determining the speed per overhang angle. But I suppose the calculations are done with respect to the normal of each triangle in my model - which would explain the jagged interface.

The easiest solution would be a way to interpolate and increase the resolution of the outer sphere. I haven’t done this before. Know of any good tools? When the prints were smaller this was hardly noticeable. But I just had to make a GIANT version. I get this anxiety when my printers aren’t printing… I definitely overwork them.

1 Like

I think I explain WHY it happens:

A sphere, by definition is ROUND, this one here however is made up from STRAIGHT lines.
For an arc the slicer can follow the path at full speed.
For a line that changes direction it has to slow down and accelerate at these ‘corners’.
Creators should avoid interpolating round things if possible…

Having said that - there is no quick and easy fix if you want to print those things with a consistent speed and flow rate.
The only real way to get surface to come out evenly is to ensure it all prints at the same, low speed…

You only need to slow down the speed for the outer wall. Not the rest.

Depends on the size of the model and how bad those triangles are…
But you are right, at a normal size this should help a lot maybe even fix the problem good enough.

Here’s a video on the subject:

Yeah this is such a common issue across the Bambu printer it’s how it’s sliced that is the issue with the model not normally the printer itself

I hope this helps you a bit but it seems the full answer and resolution has been posted by someone else already!

Many Thanks
William :slight_smile:

It’s not just Bambu Lab printers - they all do this!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.