Slicer bug?

I’ve had multiple cases where two colours of multi-colour prints are mixed. See below picture. One letter is black, but only the bottom layer. All upper layers (2 to 7) are white as they should be. Has anyone else experienced this? 6.5h of printing and finding this is somewhat frustrating…

Printed on X1C.

The previes shows that it is sliced correctly ?

Have you painted that correctly? I noticed that sometimes when painting something like this and using height painting, it misses some polygons (as it seems to operate on those). The solution was to paint even the layer below and then repaint it to the original colour again. I think it sometimes fails to paint the whole layer either because most of the polygon is on another layer, or because of some bug
As an example:

If I paint any lower, the whole face below this becomes black as well, so I do this, then switch back to white and paint the lower part again and the result is this

Thanks. TBH, for this particular print, I am not 100% sure. I sliced it again this morning and it looked fine. Will print tonight. Over the last few weeks, I have had many, many cases where I could see that the sliced part was wrong. I am pretty sure the slicer contains a bug. This all happened on Mac OS, which I use mostly. Last evening, I moved to Windows, sliced the part and printed. Typically, I carefully inspect the sliced part, so I guess it looked okay, but again, I am not fully sure. I’ll keep an extra eye on it and take screenshots for upcoming prints.

@zviratko All other letters are drawn just the same (Fusion 360) and come out fine, so I guess the root cause lies elsewhere. Thanks

And did it print those letters at all? It’s not clear from the picture. Unfortunately Bambu Studio defaults to Classic slicing method instead of Arachne and thin lines might not get printed at all (though your letter look pretty bold, so it’s probably not the case here).

@zviratko Yes, all letters are printed just fine. They have a height of 1mm. I’ve been trying to optimize this print for a week or so (it’s not really easy), and did use the Arachne slicing method, one wall and 0.25mm line width. This works okay (but for this one letter…)

If you created the file in Fusion360 I would suggest that the letters are individual objects, then export the whole component as a 3mf file. Import that in BS (as a combined object). In that way, you have the letters as individual sub-objects to that you can assign colors in the object tab.
I find it far easier than painting in the slicer.

1 Like

You might be able to pull the 3MF file and see what went wrong. Enable SD card caching present in the last firmware, use your phone to “Reprint” and then there will be a 3mf file in the cache folder on the SD card. Sadly, it doesn’t(?) include the model, I was not able to reslice it, but I was still able to see the layers and everything in the slicer. This might at least confirm whether you sliced it right.

@Wylaryzel That’s exactly what I do: I export two STLs from Fusion 360. One contains the box with holes in which the other, containing all letters, fits. Then I combine this in a single object in BS.

@zviratko I wasn’t aware that this is possible. I’ll give it a try.

Well, that proved to be extremely useful. I followed the suggestion of @zviratko and here’s the result.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.32.17

So, it definitely looks like a slicer bug.

Do you still have the source file? Not that I don’t believe in a slicer bug, but what also could happen (and it happened to myself already several times) - there was not punch out of the letter in fusion360 and the slicer had both colors to assign on the same spot (overlapping) and choosing for some part the black filament…

Yes, I still have it. Previously, it happened to me that a slice result was fine, but it broke after I moved the model on the plate. I will try a few more slices later today. The Fusion360 model is fine. All letters are extruded from the same plane, which is at the exact same height as the bottom of the box. In addition, all letters are fixed to a 0.4mm thick plane inside the box, thereby making it one object. The slicer should therefore never assign the black filament to the letters to which I assign white filament. Or do I understand you wrongly?

Edit: I sliced the model again and now it is fine, which strenghtens my suspicion that the slicer has a bug causing this issue:

1 Like

I know it’s slightly off-topic but I keep seeing this object when more than one filament is used. I guess it is to clean the nozzle?
Why

It is really OT… it is the prime tower for getting the right pressure within the nozzle after changing the filament

The bug is still present in the latest version of the slicer. It is now also confirmed by a colleague of mine who has a similar issue.