Slicer setting suggestion to minimize purge waste

Hello.

Could it be possible to tell the slicer to do the color change purge while printing infill instead of wasting it out the back? It realy does not matter what color the infill have. In practice it is only the skin that needs to be printed in the actual color.

If the print requires solid colors or different materials, the setting is deactivated and the filament switch works as today.

2 Likes

Yes, it is possible. You can also purge to a “waste object:”.

5 Likes

Depending on your color swap you can reduce the flushing volume numbers as well
They are set relatively high as a default to prevent color bleeding
It is also notable that any time I’ve used different colors in the AMS slot (changing filaments in the AMS that are different than previously) I first make sure that the filaments selected in the slicer match the AMS then I go to the flushing volumes tab and select Auto Calc
From there I will either divide the flushing volumes in half if the colors bleeding won’t be an issue or ill leave the high numbers for a good color transition at the expense of a lot of wasted filament out the poop chute
As the other reply suggested you can also flush your filaments into the infill
Another setting is in the others tab above your flush options and you can reduce the width and prime volumes
I leave the prime tower numbers alone for now but have significantly reduced my waste by reducing the flushing volumes
Just remember to make sure your material selection matches the AMS and to auto calculate the flushing volume before dividing the numbers in half
I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show these settings

I’ve dropped mine 75% and so far the purge on color change is complete from white to red, overture PLA.

Reduced weight, shortened print times.

I have looked at all the individual “Poops” for a variety of color changes and 75% reduction looks good.

Glitter, clear, or other filaments that have additives may still need more.

Glitter, the gift that keeps on giving.

You may want to try out this relatively new addon where it retracts the filament a bit before cutting it so the purging needed is a lot less you can search for it on maker world under “reduce purge by up to 60%”