Speed and cooling setting help for outer finish

Hello community

After some excellent help from you all (thank you) on trying to get the outer layers of my model to represent the type of sheen that I was getting from Prusa MK3s - (higher gloss not matte) - I would say I am about 95% there (and I will share my settings shortly) but to recap it is a combination of changing the speed settings for the outer walls and fan speed for filament cooling for this particular PLA black overture filament.

As you can see in the areas where there is a through-hole (Not printing with supports) - that particular area of the outer wall that contains the holes is slightly shinier than the rest of the outer walls on the layer. I don’t know if that represents an overhang or another property of the model where the fan speed or travel or filament extrusion is either faster or slower I forget which would make the plastic a bit shinier. As you can see in the pictures it’s not as dramatic as it has been in the past and yes I have used the preview settings with the different color mapping it does not show any difference on the color mapping for fan speed etc. (unless That was added in a later release of bamboo studio I’m currently on I think last month’s version and I’m missing something. )

Can you please provide any insight into those areas on the model and what I should be looking for and what other speed settings I should adjust to get the entire outer wall to match 100% after a number of trial and errors I’m confident I’m almost there.

Thank you

Can anyone help with this post.

I can try. ; )
What speed are you printing this model with?
It looks like it’s something caused by the layer times… where the wall layers without a hole feature have longer layer times than the ones with holes.
I have seen this with some of my prints before.
You said you tweaked speeds and cooling settings, it may help to share those settings so I (we) can see where they might cause this issue.

Hi Lexi - awesome thanks - here are my settings:

Filament is normal / standard Black Overture PLA from Amazon

Filament Settings:

Cooling Setting:

.4 nozzle / textured PEI Plate
Quality default
Strength default

Speed Settings:

First layer 25
Outer Wall 25
Top Surface 25 (which may not apply here)
First Layer 250
Slow down for overhangs IS checked (I wonder if that may be it)
The rest are default

here is the layer time color map - I don’t see any variances, changing any of the Color schemes just show solid consistent color throughout.

Thanks for taking a look

It seems like you’re printing quite slow, so those lines should be pretty uniform.

Why is the fan speed set so low?
PLA usually needs rapid cooling.

The cooling is the only flag that jumps out at me, at this moment.

What happens when you set the fans speed to:
Min: 50%
Max 100%

I received a few recommendations to this and saw posts that validated this - I also experimented a few times with different slower speeds - printing the outer walls slowly and reducing the fan speed is what is finally giving me the gloss sheen, except now I have a different gloss sheen in those areas and I am not exactly sure why. When the fan speeds were faster - and the print was faster - the outer wall became more of a matte finish.