Spiral/Vase Artifacts

Is there any work around to fix this issue in spiral mode? And why is it only on one side of each print? Always on the front of build plate no matter what setting I use. Flowrate changes and on some prints it looks like XY is shifting at each line in those areas.

The whole idea of vase mode is to not have any seams [with a sudden layer-height Z-hop], but a continuous spiral lift with tiny increase of Z over the whole perimeter. Alas, the current implementation more or less make exactly the seam you’d get without vase mode. It’s basically a bug (or rather, the spiral mode is currently just a hack) and IIRC it stems from Prusa Slicer. There are open tickets in all three slicers for fixing it. My bet would be for it to be fixed in Orca and backported to Bambu Studio.

Edit: BTW now SuperSlicer is back in the game as well and I think they will try to catch up with Prusa Slicer. Then hopefully SuperSlicer too will be a source for new and improved features, for merging into Bambu Slicer and Orca.

That’s what I was afraid of from what I read so far, was hoping someone found a work around to minimize it at least till it’s fixed. That’s one thing in Cura I like is the vase mode settings to be able to adjust a lot more settings. Thanks though I appreciate your reply

Yeah I was super disappointed when I found out. I guess what we can do is try minimizing seams artefacts in general, there are a number of settings that affect them and the effort will pay off for any non-vase mode prints as well.

Hi, I was having problems with this - it was driving me mad, but I found a simple fix by accident. I increased the number of bottom layers of my model and re-sliced it and the artifacting disappeared.

Then when I changed to a 0.8 hot end I had to create a new file, I had the same problem so I increased the bottom layers to 6 and it resolved it again.

No idea why but so happy to have got rid of the artifacting.

1 Like