Stop printing at layer height

Is there a way to stop printing at a certain height (or layer)? I need to stop my print at a certain height, for testing. I want to print only the bottom half inch of my 3d model and stop.

3 Likes

I would appreciate an answer to this as well! In the industrial space this is used to insert electronics or other non-printed parts to a cavity prepared in the print, then sealed by continuing the print at that point. Sometimes the print bed drops for access and then returns to continue printing. I miss my big toys, but the cost is not appropriate for casual or hobby use!

1 Like

After slicing, drag the slider on the right to the layer where you wish to stop. Right-click the slider and add a pause. Manually cancel the print when it pauses.

I suppose there is custom G-code that could be inserted at that layer to abort the print, but I don’t know what it is.

Re-starting after a pause (to change filament, or to insert a nut or magnet in a recess) can be done from Studio or the Handy app.

3 Likes

The “Add Pause” is a good idea! Until now, I have cut my model in the slicer using the cutting tool, sliced and printed it for testing. But this required me to undo the cutting after the test print to print it complete. :smiley:

1 Like

You could export the gcode and find out that way. I tried the change filament without the ams and expected it to stop and eject, but it didn’t seem to do what i was expecting, although there were some additional gcode lines.
I’ve read somewhere that the pause function is not enough and there should be some movement commands to be able to eject the current filament.

Some people suggest using the add ustom gcode function instead of pause.

I was also curious to find out and put it on my list of things i wanted to do. Time is the limiting factor, though.

1 Like

You can also restart just by using the printer control panel and hitting the play button.
I do this on my P1P to change filament color.

1 Like

I am looking for a way to stop printing without me being present at the printer. I wanted to leave the printer and go away, and hope the printer stops at the height. So when I returned (maybe a few hours later), i would see the portion I wanted printed. So far it looks like gcode is the only way (that is without user intervention).

Tested just a few minutes ago: Set “Add Pause” at specific layer in Slicer and start the print. The printer will stop the print at the layer. If your are using Bambu Handy, you get a notification, that the print is paused. Then you can resume from printer or Bambu Handy or Slicer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, my suggestion was poorly stated because I forgot why the control panel is not sufficient for a color change. On the X1C all you can do from the touch screen after a pause is resume or cancel; there is no way to get to any other functions. So Studio or Handy is needed to unload/load the filament while paused.

EDIT: This is still wrong, see below.

On a P1P you can access alle the features on the screen while it’s paused. I’m confused why it’s implemented differently on the X1C.

I took a picture of the paused X1C screen to prove my point… and only proved that I was wrong. :flushed:

A tap on the center column allows full access to the controls, and then a tap on the Home key returns to the Resume/Cancel screen.

I don’t know if this was a firmware change since I first tried to use a pause, or if I just never tried that part of the screen (likely).

Why is so much of the screen wasted on an image of the printer? I’m standing in front of the printer, I can see it in real life and do not need a picture. That space could be better used for almost any other purpose.

I’m glad that there is a way to access the other controls, even if it is less intuitive.
It’s been a while since I tinkered with the X1C at my workplace, so I can’t tell if that is new functionality. I did not need to change any settings mid-print there, yet.

Maybe the image is a placeholder for some future functionality.

1 Like

If you know what layers you want to print too just look at the layer counter and press stop or pause, I would suggest.

1 Like

I am looking for the information about doing a base layer in white the a second layer in red. Then after that, having the printer do all four colors. I would think if the base layer are all one color the speed of the print would increase. I don’t need the colors all the way thru, just the top two layers. Any one know where to find this information?