Strongest bambu filament?

I am doing some prototyping of machine parts and I am looking for the strongest Bambu filament. I know they make a variety of carbon filaments and such, but I can’t seem to tell which is best from the specs. My application will undergo a lot of stress and impacts, but not high temperatures nor will it be outdoors or subject to any unusual environments. I prefer using Bambu filament (but if anyone has a super-strong suggestion outside of Bambu I’m all ears). Any thoughts on which filament is best? Thanks.

1 Like

Plain PLA is the “strongest” filament, but it may not take impacts well. It depends on the design. Anything added to PLA makes it weaker–Fibers, wood, dirt or whatever. The nylons stand up against impacts, but they aren’t particularly “strong” or resistant to bending. Strong means something different to everybody. And it’s not a very good choice of terms to define an engineering need.

2 Likes

I think it all depends on your use case, I use ASA as I need it for outdoors. You don’t so I’d assume PLA+

As others have mentioned way too many variables with your question, you need to be more specific.

• Wow that is a loaded question. Generally “strength” is measured as tensile strength and is measured in PSI here in the U.S. Here’s a simple table for that I found showing different materials, many more are listed if you do a search on the WEB.
    Tensl

There are way to many variables in play that have to be taken into account to answer that. I generally use PETG however it is not as “strong” as PLA, as you see in the table. We just launched a “rocket” here in Florida that was 3D printed … with an metal alloy mix and it passed MAX-Q without breaking up, I’ve seen that printer in action but it was not made with Bambu material.
Evaluate your “specific” requirements and decide on the material that fits your use is the best advise.

1 Like

There are many different types of “strength”. Figure out what characteristics are most important for your application and compare the technical specs of different filaments. Bambu has a useful comparison chart, and most of the manufacturers include similar data on their web sites.

3 Likes

Also think about the design, this will have an influence on the “strength” (breakage, impact, etc.). After all, what good is a filament costing €120 if you can’t print it well? Or even so bad that you don’t like the result or you have high reject rates when printing? The manufacturer’s tests don’t say that much either. I don’t think they are usually practical. Once you have tried different things in practice, you become smarter and sometimes you are amazed at what is possible with some materials.

For example, if you print PETG too cold and too fast, the result won’t be very stable. It is similar with other materials, such as ABS.

Best regards!

1 Like