SUNLU PETG Settings Needed

X1C printer. Just got my first roll of Sunlu Black PETG and there is some conflicting information on there box as well as the paper inside of it. Take a look at the box picture and pamphlet picture. Each shows a bit different of the bed temperature. Also I don’t see a nozzle temp listed. Does anyone have any experience with this filament and can share their settings or is the generic PETG profile in the X1C good enough to use.

I use 240°C nozzle, 70°C bed, 20% both part and nozzle fan.

The suggested ranges overlap, pick a bed temp in the middle.
A 5 °C difference in bed temperature will not make much difference.

Start with the Generic PETG preset, run your own nozzle temperature, flow rate, and pressure advance calibrations. Even different colors from the same manufacturer often need different settings for best results.

1 Like

The SUNLU FDM filament printing parameter setting guide may have the latest info.

1 Like

That is interesting. I have tested different values for part fan (20%, 40%, 60%) and above 20%, the layer adhesion suffered severly. I think at 60%, the force needed to tear prints apart was like half the force needed with 20% part fan. Sunlu suggests 100% which might make parts look a little bit nicer, but it dramatically reduces strength. So I would not follow their advice if part strength is relevant for you.

I have printed a decent amount of Sunlu PETG and the generic profile works great for me as-is.

Bambu Studio does list Sunlu filament to create a custom preset/profile easily based on another filament, for which I would suggest starting with BL PETG.

Select "Create New’’

Great, but do you know, if your prints have good strength compared to what they could have at other settings? Or if overhangs are as nice as they can be with that filament?

I did extensive tests and the result was that fan settings > 20% reduce layer adhesion a lot. Temperatures > 240 °C reduced the maximum angle of overhangs that would properly print. So 240°C (btw. max recommended by Sunlu) and 20% fans was the sweet spot for me between good aesthetics and strength.

None of my parts have required any significant strength but a few have had decent overhangs like these gutters for the Hextraction game board. I have printed some variations of the popular parametric tough box in PETG as well all in Sunlu and have not had any layer separation issues. The only PETG part I have had fail is 1 out of 24 of these simple blue “feet” that I made to go on the end of my RV sewer hose trays that snapped where the shaft meets the disc after a year of use

I have 10 rolls of various Bambu PETG sitting here that never get used because it has been a pain to work with. I keep ordering Sunlu because it has been so easy to print.

1 Like

Those prints look great, nice to hear they are holding up too! I’m not trying to critique the model but the way the layers are stacked on the blue prints are not the most ideal for strength - so to hear they are holding up for some time is reassuring!

I’ve got a couple kg’s of SUNLU PETG on the way, I’m stoked to try them!

Yeah, for what they are I do not expect to need much in the way of strength. Not much lateral stresses in play, mainly a static load straight down. It only broke when removing it for winter storage. For what they are I am not concerned as they print fast and cheap :wink:

1 Like

I stand corrected! Looks like a perfectly fine use case scenario and like you say - fast and cheap! The joys of 3D printing.

Actually I didn’t test the Sunlu PETG with generic settings yet. Specimen are printing right now. I’m curious how they hold up against the other settings.