Support-G stringing?

I don’t really understand why, but my support-G is stringing horribly.
For the first half of the roll or so, it performed flawlessly. The support interfaces printed with the support-G just snapped right off too, as if it were brittle. Not so anymore.

I have kept the Support-G in the AMS the entire time with good dessicant packs. Is there a chance that the support-G is wet? Or do you think this could be print settings related? It’s a problem because the strings end up embedded inside the PAHT-CF part of the prints (!)

1 Like

Same problem here. Not even sure what to try? I tried increasing the retraction from .1mm to 2.0mm and it’s just as stringy. Looks just like your picture.

I have already tried changing the nozzle, reducing nozzle temp, drying the filament, everything I can think of.

Those long strings are stretchy too, which seems odd for the support material–it seemed brittle and broke easily after printed when it was working.

Same here. New nozzle. New desiccant, tried both the “snug” support setting as well as the “default”, 260* nozzle temp. Surface finish is pretty garbage where the support material was, too.

Only thing I can think of is that I’m using it with ABS. The support-G says it’s for PA/PET so maybe that’s it. What are you using it with?

On a different note, PETG has worked 10x better than the support-W with PLA. Breaks right off with almost nothing left behind. No stringing either.

I’m using it as directed to my knowledge, PAHT-CF material with the Support-G which I think is PA it’s self.
High-temp plate, oil free.

I have 2 more rolls of the Support-G on the way, I will see if it’s a filament problem at least.

Also I have noticed it doesn’t wipe properly. Wipe is in good shape I think, it works for other materials.
Could the nozzle actually be too low temperature or something?

Of course, the new rolls print just fine. So it absolutely must be a problem with the roll I have, probably moisture. I bought a toaster oven with a dehydrator setting to better dry rolls.

1 Like

It didn’t work, I now suspect that fumes from printing some other filament has damaged the plastic on the roll somehow. Very interesting.

Off-gassing of stationary or mildly heated roll of… something?

Very old thread I know but I’ve just bought some Support G/PA support and while I’m not getting the stringing quite so bad out of the nozzle as yourself, it’s balling up, not laying down well and causing defects in the part above - and it certainly won’t snap off cleanly, it’s very soft and pliable and has stuck like glue to an otherwise perfect PACF part to the point I can’t get it to come off in more than small bits and pieces, it’s ruined it.
Did anyone ever work this stuff out? It’s worse than just using the nylon itself as the support!