Support Interface Gap Bug

The setting “Top Z Distance” does not work. It will round up or down to the nearest layer line. The actual value is ignored. It should allow for an interface gap of between 0-1 layer height, but it does not.

The problem this creates is that a gap of 0 layers is too little, it causes Support G to fuse with PA-CF. But a gap of 1 layer is too much, and the result isn’t any better than not using Support G. Please fix this bug.

Hello,

Set it to 0.015 or 0.050 what you need your small gap @

Also orca slicer 1.6.3 beta has added support interface fan speed.

What I’m saying is, that doesn’t do anything. The output is always rounded to the nearest layer. So for example if my layer height is 0.16, the only possibly Z distances are 0.0mm and 0.16mm, if you type in 0.015mm, the slicer will just round to 0.0mm.

In order to actually work, the top interface layer would need to be printed at a different height than the normal layer height, it may even need multiple layers of a different height to achieve a specific gap, and thus the number of layers of interface may not even line up 1:1 with the layers of normal filament. It does not appear that this has been implemented, instead, it prints the interface the same as the object layers and you can choose to leave a gap of 0 or 1 layers between the interface and the object - this setting makes it seem like it can so something it cannot.

If my layer height is 0.16mm, and I want a 0.08mm gap between the object and interface, that is not something the slicer can do, even though it looks like it can.

I can change the layer gap on Orca and Bambu with mine. I have even tested with interface layers with small gaps and it has worked out great.

Even the G-code will have the bridge setting with a small gap setting.

I can even see it change in the preview screen the small gap adjustment steps.

Now I don’t let it auto change my custom setting.

What version of slicers are you using ?

Can you link a 3mf file ?

0.08 Gap

0.05 Gap

Zero gap
zero

Interesting. The preview render snaps to the next layer in mine, and the Gcode does not contain any layer heights other than the main one. I am using the latest Bambu Studio(1.6.2.4). Here is gcode and 3MF. Your support layer height seems much larger than your objects layer height, mine shows them as the same. Thanks!

When I get time I will look at your files and see what happens on my end.

Maybe go download the Orca Slicer 1.6.3 beta and see what it will do for you with your file.

You might have to sign in to get the 1.6.3 beta versions to download.

Orca Slicer

Thanks, I just tried Orca 1.6.2 and it does the same, I’ll try 1.6.3.

Ok I just looked at your 3mf file turn off the prime tower this will not allow small interface gaps.

You will have to adjust your flushing volumes.

If doing multi color and you need a prime block maybe add a cube.

Ok, that works with Orca Slicer! But not Bambu Studio.
Update: It works on Bambu too, but I just noticed the “Independent support layer height” setting, which needs to be set.

Solution:
Disable prime tower
[Bambu only] Go back to Support/Advanced, enable “Independent Support Layer Height”
The Top Z distance will now be obeyed.

Thanks @3DTech !

Ya so many tricks to get stuff to do what you want lol

The good news you have something to work with now :grinning:

Many new things in Orca 1.6.3 so look around :v: