Support Interface Material for PET-CF?

We know that a) Bambi’s own Support Material for PAHT, PA and PET isn’t great and that b) ASA is absolutely fantastic in its place for PAHT and PA.

Has anyone found a suitable material for PET-CF specifically? ASA bonds too well and PLA isn’t working for me as the large temp differential consistently leads to a clogged extruder.

1 Like

I am wondering the same thing. So far, what I’ve found is that according to this: UltiMaker PET CF Filament 2.85mm (750g) | 3D Universe

the answer is either PVA or a breakaway.

I’ve also read that PET-CF is not AMS compatible, so I guess this means the PVA goes into the AMS and the PET-CF goes on the y-adapter? Is that feasible? I’ve only just received my AMS. I haven’t set it up yet, and therefore have no experience to draw upon yet.

I don’t think you can use the AMS and an external spool with the same print.

If you could put it in the AMS, I’m thinking PLA would work as the support interface material.
Because PLA and PETG don’t really bind to each other that well, so they will break away easily. So when printing with PETG, use PLA as the support interface material. Or if printing with PLA, use PETG as the support interface material.

But PET-CF is too brittle for the AMS, and would likely break in the bowden tubes.

I’ve been using plain PET in the AMS though. Not nearly as common as PETG though.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: Yes, I bet you’re right, since there would be no way to automatically retract the external spool.

Edit: I guess it could maybe be done manually? I don’t see any other way. The interface surface would have to be simple, or it would be too arduous.

Maybe it will mean punting on PET-CF in favor of some other, non-CF material.

I am having no problems running PET-CF in the AMS with a tweaked PA profile. I have printed around 5 spools so far and no issues at all.

1 Like

There is one issue I found that can happen when you use two different materials and one has a significantly lower nozzle temperature:
During the change from one filament to the other, it might try to purge at a temperature that is too low and nothing will get extruded because it’s not at melting temperature.
One workaround can be to raise the temperature of the lower temperature material just enough so that the higher temperature material can still melt.

I have experienced the issue the other way around - PLA is running into an extruder that hasn’t cooled down enough yet from 280-290C and clogs.

I have never noticed the X1C attempting a purge at too low a temp for the given filament, only the other way around. SO the logic is ‘don’t run the filament until nozzle has HEATED to temp x’. The same logic doesn’t apply for ‘don’t run the filament until nozzle has cooled to temp x’

Unless you’re customizing the g-code by hand, isn’t all this handled by the slicer and therefore not under our direct control?

Sometimes I print with plain PET, and its normal printing temperature is 255.
If I’m using PLA as support interface material at its normal printing temperature of 220, that’s below the melting temperature of the PET I use. So, I raise the temperature of the PLA to 235, which is enough to melt the PET. It’s kind of high for the PLA, but not too extreme.

2 Likes

Is there not yet an established procedure for PET-CF? Surely we’re not the first to attempt this?

Haven’t found any yet, that’s why I asked the question.

But @ChrisTooFar’s input is very valuable, stating that PLA works for normal PET (which was my intuition given PETG and PLA work so well together).

I don’t see why adding CF would raise the required nozzle temp for PET so I guess I’ll run a temp tower to see if I can lower the delta between PLA and PET-CF without sacrificing layer adhesion.

1 Like