Supports not correctly genreated

Had a model fail several times in the same location. Looking closer it was an overhanging area that the nozzle was hitting. It seemed to me that the area was not being supported correctly. Zooming in on the sliced model it looks like Studio is not making the support reach the over hang. Tried both tree and normal support but they fail on printing and both look like they are not reaching the model. Anyone else see this before? Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2024-02-27 113436
Screenshot 2024-02-27 113532

What do you have your ā€œtop Z distanceā€ set to?

Also check your ā€œTop interface spacingā€ and ā€œSupport/object xy distanceā€ settings.

2 Likes

There is a setting in Bambu studio that allows you to adjust the distance from the support to the model. I think itā€™s in the support section toward the bottom. Iā€™d suggest the distance being the height of 1 layer. Hope that helps

What is your Top Z set to?

I was letting it default to .2mm for ā€œTop Zā€, .35 for ā€œSupport/object xy distanceā€, and .5mm for ā€œTop interface spacingā€ in the Studio profile. Suggestions? The funny part is the supports seems to be just fine in other areas of the model. Thanks for the responses.

It looks like it might be a bug in the slicer .

Can you screen shot your support tab settings so we can make sure something else isnā€™t out of whack?

Sure can. I had to do it in two shots to get the whole tab. I am still learning my way around Studio so thanks for the help.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 171659
Screenshot 2024-02-27 171748

I have noticed bugs in the auto generated support (not fully supporting where necessary, adding squiggles of support interface filament in the middle of nowhere, supporting bridges where ā€˜do not support bridgesā€™ is enabledā€¦). Only way Iā€™ve gotten around it is by setting cabin doors to manualā€¦

I donā€™t see anything in your settings that look like it would give you those results.
It looks like for whatever reason itā€™s missing 7 layers of support interface for the 2 regions you pointed out.
I would try slicing it in OrcaSlicer (Releases Ā· SoftFever/OrcaSlicer Ā· GitHub) and see if the bug persists.
OrcaSlicer is like Bambu Studio on steroids. Same interface, but more options.

2 Likes

Do you use Arachne or Classic wall generator? Do you mind sharing the model in a 3mf file (to preserve your pre-sliced settings)?

Yes. Good eye. I counted 7 layers between the support and the model in that region. I will give OrcaSlicer a try. Thank you for the suggestion.

It is defaulted to Classic but I guess I could try Arachne. I am not 100% sure if I can share the model as it is a purchased model from CULTS3D. It printed ok on my Ender 3 Pro but darn if I can get it to work on my A1. I really wanted to get it printed on the A1 as the A1 is light years ahead on finish quality then the Ender. When this whole issue of the support generation came up I went down the rabbit hole trying to get to the bottom of it. Pun intended.

Ok. I did slice it Arachne but no joy there. I did increase the ā€œThreshold angleā€ one degree at a time with no real change until I hit 41 degrees. Then I did get support at one end but still not directly under the overhang. I also got a ton of extra support all over the model that the point. I could not get a very clear picture of it so I highlighted the first layer that got support in red but as you can see it is only at one end and not directly under the overhang.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 165913

Have you tried painting on support on the bottom edge?

4 Likes

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Yes, painting on supports does the trick. I am surprised that it works where no amount of playing with the settings gets Studio to do it on itā€™s own. I am also not sure why painting them on did not come to my mind as a possible solution. Thank you.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 185746

3 Likes