Tape at the end of spool

I ran into this for the first time today. I hit the end of my spool of Bambu Basic PLA Black and had another one queued up in the next AMS slot. Thankfully I was standing there when my A1/AMS Lite pulled the filament off the spool with the tape and some cardboard. I was quick enough to snip that part off before it got sucked into the AMS. I would have been pretty upset if it jammed up my AMS or broke it. I just bought a 1m tall stack of filament in the sale, I’m hoping it doesn’t have problems. I had to tune this roll of filament to get it printing better too, the Bambu defaults were not quite on target.

Do better, please.

1 Like

I guess aside from all that, one could say, “Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?”

:joy:

2 Likes

That’s really good news and I’ll give my shiny white PLA refills a try knowing they will stand behind them if they are like yours (bet they are).

Just used up two rolls of PLA White and both had tape at the ends of the filament, didn’t know better the first time, it was on an overnight print and found the error when I woke up the next morning, last night found tape at the end of the filament, but was there to handle any problems.

I will chime in as well to say that the three spools I’ve had in the month of my first P1S w/ AMS all had a small strip of black tape at the end of the filament role, taped to the cardboard (all PLA Basic). This presented an issue with the automatic switching as the AMS motor wasn’t able to pull the filament off the spool.

With that issue, I’ll be switching to a different brand until Bambu addresses that issue.

Just had to replace a PTFE tube because black tape got jammed in it. Seems like a odd oversight. Will probably just use other filament brands anyways, but would be nice if they gave that a bit more thought.

1 Like

I’ve just finished a recently purchased PLA white and end was just held by the hole in the carton spool center. As stock of white in EU had been depleted for a while, I suppose bambu went back to the original supplier/design. Not sure if other part of the world is still selling old stock though.

1 Like

Current project I’ve used 4 rolls of matte grey. No tape, switched rolls in AMS without issue.

2 Likes

I am having he same problem now with black PLA matt refills. The only good thing is the tape is stopping it going passed the first set of gears but over time this will put real strain on the AMS.

Needs to be fixed so that one of the features they sell the AMS as being able to do, the auto roll switch, works otherwise they could be getting lots of requests for refunds for false functionality, and with their own brand filament too.

1 Like

I have been back and forth with Support now for 8 days. They admit to having used the wrong tape but claim it is only on Basic White, black and Grey. Support will NOT give me an answer to how they are addressing the issue. The only thing they offered me was for me to ship back my filament to them (at my cost) for refund or a replacement with OTHER colors! This looks to be the end of my relationship with Bambu since beyond the multicolor, the run out feature is why I started using their filament and printers. I go through about 12 spools a week on my 5 printers and I cannot deal with a company that doesn’t even understand when they shot themselves in the foot with a careless and stupid decision to use tape that will not stick to the cardboard spool!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

It’s unfortunate you’re having to deal with the spool/tape issue. Fortunately the AMS isn’t locked to use only Bambu filament so you have lots of 3rd party options. Speak with your dollars and purchase elsewhere.

For the spools you have on hand with issues you might consider simply respooling them to another spool. There are lots of respooling systems available that you can print.

https://makerworld.com/en/search/models?keyword=respool

Even ones that are fully automatic.

2 Likes

I was really hoping to come here and get answers with the new rolls of black pla, but it looks like it is now an ongoing issue. The last time I bought black filament I bought 10 rolls of black on a spool (they didn’t have enough refills) and 10 refills. This stuff has been horrible… Lots of fine stringing on the parts (maybe that can be fixed with drying before hand), more banding, and the refills are a pita to get onto new spools.

And then the biggest issues, bad spooling, the filament tangles constantly and the damn tape on the cardboard that rips off and causes jamming.

Anyone try Voxelpla? I’m looking to switch to something more reliable. I don’t have time to respool filament either.

2 Likes

I am still experiencing this problem causing print stoppage until I remove the tape end from tube/feeder. Bambu’s AMS is a great product that cannot autofill as designed because of a small piece of tape. Bambu, you have been aware of this problem since 5/23 and in 14 months this simple problem has not been resolved. I would love to hear why?

I’m really confused.
Where is everyone located? (US, some filament shipped from California and NJ)
Since this has started I have gone through 5 spools matte grey, 2 spools basic black, 2 spools matte black, 3 of basic white and haven’t hit one piece of tape.

Now I know you all are not wrong, so how the heck did I get so lucky? All spools purchased over the last 2-3 months with some bought in the past few weeks.

Australia representing. Had random spools with tape, usually its PETG /CF’s of recent. I put it down to old stock, even if you bought it recently there seems to be no clear date of manufacture or factory number available to us to search. I’ve been luck that only been caught out twice with airprinting, I tend to rely on Studio weight and the spool of choice so mostly avoid spool swaps.

1 Like

Location Illinois, two rolls black PLA refills that was just delivered 7/26 had the tape dragged into feeder.

1 Like

New PETG-HF - Canada

Potential fire hazard if dragged into the hot nozzle. Better recall before this issue gets big.

3 Likes

While I understand that changing course takes time for a company, and even after the decision has been made, there is probably a stock in which the issue has not been remedied - we still have not heard anything official from Bambu Lab (that I know of), that they will stop taping the end.

To make matters worse, the newly launched PETG-HF also has this issue, and combined with the lack of communication on this matter, I cannot recommend that AMS users buy Bambu Lab filaments, unless they’re into having to constantly deal with a stuck AMS. This is truly a shame, especially since it wasn’t an issue before but something they’ve decided to do out of the blue fairly recently.

The tape on the spools is what put me off using Bambu filaments. I had a few failed prints because it caused the filament to get jammed causing the extruder gears to slip and extrusion to stop, but because the filament is stuck in front of the sensor when this happens the printer carries on printing rather than stopping.

Its just not worth the cost in time and money to lost prints and wasted filaments and I don’t want to babysit the printer every time the filament gets low. I won’t use their filaments again until this is not an issue anymore.

I started with Bambu Aug last year (2023). My first dozen rolls were fine.

Starting in Oct, I can’t say I’ve gotten a roll that wasn’t taped. PLA, PLA-CF, PLA Tough, PLA - SILK, PETG, PETG-CF, PETG-Trans, ABS, ASA, PA-CF, and TPU. Full spools and refills.

Probably at least 100kg, and it jams in AMS 80% of the time ruining auto-refill. Fortunately I haven’t yet experienced an AMS failure. But my printer has sat for a non-trivial amount of time, keeping the bed hot, waiting for user input so many times.

In the last hour I finished a spool of Purple petg-cf and a spool of red tpu and both were taped. It’s less of an issue with tpu but it’s still an issue…and that’s not how the filament termination was intended to work.

As I find suitable alternatives that are easily manageable, I move away from Bambu filament. For example, elegoo rapid petg red, blue, black and white are perfect. I just tape the rfid tags to the Bambu spools, rip the sides off the elegoo and plop it in the bambu spool with the corresponding color tag.

I do not want to do this, but ya do what ya gotta do. I have soooo much respect and love for what Bambu has done. It’s wildly impressive and appreciated and I’m honored to support them but this “taped spool termination” has been going on - for me in the US - for almost a year. I wouldn’t even consider saving a couple bucks a roll, but this tape is a frustrating game changer.

I sure hope they can get these “growing pains” sorted, it really would be a win/win…but a year signals something more than just “growing pains” is going on, at least in America.