Tape at the end of spool

Can you stop taping the carbon fibre filament to the cardboard spools please?

It doesn’t function in the AMS correctly when it runs out. Not only does it jam the AMS, it prevents the AMS from automatically switching to another spool

19 Likes

+1
I could see how this might be a slight issue :smiley:

1 Like

I’m currently printing a model using PLA CF in the AMS, it’s getting to the end of the roll and I just noticed the tape. This would obviously cause a problem for those relying on the filament run-out feature, luckily I’m near my printer so I can monitor this but it would be very annoying on an overnight print.

Another vote for removing the tape!

1 Like

It has been 6 month between first and last post here. How about a comment from Bambu Labs please ? And do agree that the use of tape is problematic.

2 Likes

I’ve been having exactly the same issue! This needs to be fixed! The AMS is meant to take away worry and stress - not create it!

To be clear, this is not just CF filaments… I’ve got it on my PLA Matte

1 Like

Do you have a picture of thape on the end of the spool? All of the Bambu spools (Mostly ASA/ABS) I’ve used don’t have tape on the end of the spool, they insert into a hole in the cardboard base spool. They do have tape to hold the start of the spool but I just cut that section off.

1 Like

Lots of different examples… one of the main ones is the original poster of this thread but if need more:

I know there were concerns that the bent end from insertion into the cardboard spool was wearing out tubes and the AMS as it passed through, but this is just solving a long term issue with an immediate issue

1 Like

Are these recent examples? I only ask as I haven’t run into a taped spool in a year of printing solely with Bambu spools. Are these refills or full spools?

These are recent spools bought in the recent sale.

One is a complete spool (which is the solid white) and one is just a cardboard refill (which I placed on the transparent spool)

1 Like

Same, have never seen tape on any spool, including CF.

Not denying, just haven’t seen in in the past year and half.

Well that is unfortunate. As @johnfcooley said, I’m not trying to deny it happened just trying to understand how wide spread of a problem it is. It seems perhaps a work procedure isn’t documented well and perhaps a new employee doesn’t understand that you shouldn’t tape the beginning of the spool. This results in a small amount of spools being produced and shipped like this before the issue is recognized. Every time this employment position rolls over the problem shows up again. The other unfortunate parts is that you can’t see if a spool is taped as the filament covers it so it is really hard to catch.

A good problem to bring to light.

3 Likes

Is Bambu doing anything to address the issue of the terrible tape at the end of the new refills? I don’t know if it’s just the refills because it’s the only thing I order.

1 Like

They don’t use the small hole at the end of the rol anymore?
With this the auto backup does not work either, the filament being stuck.

2 Likes

Great, so they’re doing it across the board. It’s going to be a fun time for the folks in support.

1 Like

Well clearly you got a defective roll. That was supposed to be the little piece of white paper with your fortune on it. I’d ask for a refund. :rofl:

2 Likes

Bringing it to light is the aim, finding a solution is the goal. Sadly I’ve not had any response from Bambu Lab via email, social media or here

A customer support ticket is the best way to contact Bambu. You can also link the thread here in the ticket for context.

1 Like

Different manufacturers do it differently. If the filament is poked through a hole, then often the bend jams it. Best to re-spool it, before it runs out.

I am printing a life-size Iron Man. I have only ever used the Bambu PLA Basic Jade White. I have over 50+ rolls of Bambu filament in this print, purchased directly from Bambu and had ZERO issues; however, this last batch, they clearly got a new vendor and its garbage.

I purchased ten roll refills. The white was a different, brighter white, the material was poorly spun, and they are now taping all of the ends instead of running them through the holes. I ran five rolls this week, each one was poorly taped, and jammed in the AMS for my X1C, and had to be manually removed and the filament had to be switched to a new roll (basically making the point of the AMS worthless).

Unfortunately, this is the second 10-roll batch as I noticed the discoloration and poorer filament quality, notified Bambu and they had me ship it back, only to send back another batch from what I assume is the same vendor. I’ve submitted another ticket, letting them know so we’ll see what happens.

5 Likes