Texture Plate Adhesion Issue

I’ve been using the textured plate on my X1 since Christmas. Initially, all prints stuck to the plate and printed with no problems. Fast forward to 3 months later and I routinely experience prints detaching on the first few layers.

I’ve started using an outer brim on every print, and that works, but it’s annoying to have to remove the brim from every print (especially knowing the same prints used to stick, no issues).

Question is what can I do to get adhesion back to what it was like new.

For reference I’ve tried:

• Cleaning the plate with soap and water + alcohol
  • Slowing down initial layer speed to 35mm
  • Adding a brim to all prints (not ideal)

Looking for suggestions of what else I can do to ensure first layer adhesion without using a brim.

Thanks!

What type of soap are you using? Make sure it’s a good grease cutting type and doesn’t have any additives like hand soap has.

Personally I would drop using the alcohol.

Have you tried upping the bed heat 5-10c?

A scuff with fine steel wool can help regenerate a textured PEI plate.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Dawn dish soap. According to those commercials with the birds covered in oil… Dawn should cut grease LOL.

I have not tried steel wool (assuming you do this sonewhat lightly), so will give that a shot.

I loved this plate when it was new, just hoping I can get it back to acting like that.

Have you tried a liquid glue like show here, which works as an adhesive and also a release agent? PETG very hard to remove from bed - #3 by CanDo

Personally, I wouldn’t take anything abrasive near a textured PEI (or other) plate. [A friend] tried that with a frying pan a few decades back and it didn’t turn out well… :roll_eyes:

Frying pans are a little different than plates. Just ask my wife, I’ve used steel wool on her cast iron before and it did not end well for me :smile:

I did order some liquid glue last night, will see if it helps

I think, whatever you do, the plates wear out over time.

I started using pritt stick a water soluble glue ( pla matt ) if things get stuck they can be simply rinsed away