Textured Coating Removed from PEI Plate by New Firmware?

I’m not sure whether I’m just now noticing this, or whether it has to do with recent firmware…

I noticed today that the printer is doing some kind of ‘prep’ on the little loop of metal on the plate opposite the window. The textured coating in this area of the plate has now been either worn or burned away.

I know I haven’t noticed this part of the ‘prep’ before, despite being over 100 prints in. Does anyone know the purpose of this, and whether my plate has been permanently damaged by a firmware update?

And yes, I realize that this is not part of the work surface. I’m more concerned about the printer using this area as a bed height reference or something, as the thickness of the coating might affect the readings.

1 Like

totally normal, its where it “cleans the nozzle”

2 Likes

Exactly as lindnjoe said, it cleans the nozzle. In order to properly level the bed, the tip of the nozzle needs to be clean. To clean it, the printer will rub the tip of the nozzle on the back side of the build plate and you will eventually end up with a wear mark like you are seeing.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with a steady release of firmware updates. Every “problem” in automatically pinned on “firmware update” issue.

3 Likes

Mine did the same a few weeks after I got it.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.