Textured Plate Damage with nozzle cleaning?

Before a print the Printer does the nozzle cleaning stuff and do something at the back of the plate. Today I see that there is something “rub away”.

Is it normal and supposed or is something wrong?

I have every print bed leveling etc.

1 Like

I worried too, but it appears to be normal. Its cleaning its nozzle from any hardened filament leftovers that way. Its just the sticker on the build plate that gets damaged, and its on a part outside of the build volume, so there isn’t anything to worry I assume.

but the Textured Plate dont have Sticker or im wrong? :sweat_smile:

The stickers don’t reach to this area. Somewhere in the manual is mentioned that this is normal.

1 Like

this is normal. part of the nozzle cleaning process. Can be see in the the start code as well. I would scratch that area free of any coating down to bare steel. Just to avoid that any small particles of the coating get into the nozzle somehow. Should not happen, but someone mentioned this a while ago.

I have the some. But i am not sure if this is good for the nozzle

It’s fine, and working as expected. The nozzle heats up, wipes the last remaining bits of filament in that spot that isn’t part of the printable area, then cools down before performing auto bed leveling.

Without doing this step, you’d run the risk of having hardened filament on the nozzle tip and damaging the print plate in every spot it presses into the bed or having inaccurate bed leveling measurements.

It’s fine

That’s why during the nozzle clean dance the nozzle temp drops then it shoots over and does a wipe

If we were using brass nozzles that would definitely be an issue but stainless or hardened nozzles can take it

Also explains the amount of purge before a print, its to push out any potential contaminants

Keep in mind too that the nozzles and even build plates to some degree are wear items and won’t last forever but with that what you’re seeing is nothing to be concerned about nor will it cause rapid wear

I still clean my nozzle after about 100 hours by removing the front cover and silicone sock, heating up the nozzle to about 200° and giving it a good wipe with an old silicone sock to pull off any old filament on the outside

At the same time I do a few cold pulls with matte white filament to clear its throat

100 hours is just an average number, it could be a bit more or a bit less but just to keep everything running smooth thats the number around where I’ll give it a vacuum (including my AMS) do the hotend maintenance, clean the rods, adjust the belts and clean/lube the screws

Preventative maintenance goes a long way for a relatively trouble free experience, I feel like many people just print away until something goes wrong rather than catching a potential issue before they arise

2 Likes

Heh, glad I’m not the only one who’s obsessive about routine maintenance.

I do something similar with heating it up but brushing with a small wire toothbrush.

This is something I don’t do, though. I had seen a YouTube video with a guy talking about doing this with specialty “cleaning” filament, so it’s something I’ve been meaning to look into and consider. I assumed the cleaning filament was mildly abrasive to try and get out any gunk remnants (and was also white, presumably so you could see any other colors or impurities stuck to it). Seems like matte white filament would do the same.

I will say this though, the only reason I’m so anal about maintenance is that it took me a couple years of regular maintenance to figure out how important it was. My old printer had automatic reminders to let me know when to perform specific maintenance tasks. Whenever I skipped it, I’d start having print issues. That set the habit of doing maintenance regularly and made the printer extremely reliable.

I wish Bambu Lab had more maintenance reminders built in, especially ones tied to the printer’s hour timer. It would also be really nice to have user addable reminders, specifically for those of us who do extra maintenance and have multiple printers where it can be difficult to keep track of.

1 Like

I’ve never sipped the Kool-aid with the specialized cleaning filament either lol

Regular matte white works perfect every time, I’ve found not only pla sticks on a cold pull but PETG, CF, and TPU stick to it very well

Its a good way to get full use out of an almost used up spool of regular white PLA as well, I only use matte white because I’ve got lots of old partial rolls from previous print jobs on my other printers

Can I see the Print hours from the Printer anywhere?

1 Like

You sure can.

Instructions

1 Like

Is that how many hours are on that particular X1C as of 13 days ago ?

Looks like you’ve been pumping out quite a few prints !

1 Like