Thick Wall (6 loops) Fails at 45 Degree Angle

Thick Wall (6 loops) fails at 45 degree angle?

Hi fellow Bambu Lab users, I need help.

So I printed this with the ‘stock’ 0.2 mm Strength print profile on the Bambu Studio.

Enabled Normal (auto) support with 45 degree threshold angle.

But I can’t get a nice print at the area that I circled, which is a 45 degree angle.

Printed twice and the result is still the same.

Does thick wall loops always fail at certain angle, especially 45 degree angle?

3D Printer: Bambu Lab P1S
Print Profile: 0.2 mm Strength (no modifications)
Wall Loops: 6 (stock from print profile)
Infill: 20% Rectilinear
Support: Normal (auto) with 45 degree threshold

Does anyone knows how to fix this? Thank you!

Looks like to me that the x/y object distance might be set a little too far away or the support Z distance is set too high.

The 45 degree angle is very distant from the supports so I’d assume the x/y distance is a little too big. Normally, this setting can be pretty big before it affects the quality but in geometries like this, the default 0.35 (can’t remember what it was) might be best (if not a little lower like 0.25 or 0.20). What this will do is decrease the distance of support to the diagonal angle and help with a little cleaner print. It will make the support a little harder to remove though.

This is a setting you can change and only print the small piece of the model to test. Cut the model at the 45 degree angle in the slicer and make the change. That should only be a 30-45 minute print to confirm the end result is what you want. If it isn’t or you find you want a more changes, this method allows you to iterate quickly until you find the settings that work, saving filament and time.

You don’t say what filament type you’re using, which might or might not be useful information.

This looks like cooling to me. The printer is going to spend a lot of time going over the same basic area six times. The plastic isn’t going to have a chance to cool before the next wall pass comes around. So instead of a layer where each pass sticks to the previous, cooler pass, each pass becomes part of a molten layer that oozes as it gets printed.

I am not sure if there’s a way to fix this, except with a modifier to slow the print speed down. Is there a reason you need 6 walls? If you’re trying to make the part as strong as possible, 100% solid infill with fewer walls is a better option and that might correct this issue for you.

45º should print cleanly without supports. You can see the print is blobby along the sides, too. It’s not lack of supports causing that.

I use SUNLU PLA+

Thank you for your response! It makes sense, and I agree that the only way to fix this is by changing to the “0.2 mm Standard” print profile on Bambu Studio

And change the infill to 50% with Rectilinear pattern.

I assume you print it in this orientation because you require the strength along the layers. Otherwise the model looks like it should be oriented differently.
Did you try and print the 45° angle without support? My experience is that 45° should be doable without support and still fine surface.

Yes printed without support before, and the result was the same. I thought maybe support could help, but turned out the same.

Configuring additional cooling, or slower movement for overhangs should help, I think.
Sometimes the orientation of the print is important in respect to both toolhead and aux cooling fans (make sure the air blowing at the part can actually reach the overhangs)

This makes sense! Thank you, I will try to rotate the object orientation.