Thoughts on having to print your model before uploading

So I recently saw where when uploading a new model they urge you to have a picture of it printed out. Maybe for some designers that isn’t a big deal but for the models I make they are usually large. Like 500+ grams is the usual weight of my files. I probably wouldn’t have said anything but with the recent nerfing of the point system it’s going to be hard for me to break even if I have to print all of my models out. I have like 2-3 models that have netted me a $40 gift card by themsves. I’m sure Bambu will have a fair and balanced system in the future but right now Im not sure I’m going to be able to post models over here as often as I would like. Any thoughts from other designers?

3 Likes

This subject has been covered a lot. The crux of the matter is you need to show printed evidence for the model you propose to upload. I support this. May I ask you why would you expect others to download a model that is untested?

36 Likes

Pictures provide a form of validation that the profile works. This should be a requirement for all models on any site.

18 Likes

He is not saying do away with the print requirement, he is saying the new point system disincentivizes larger / heavier designs. The creator now has to eat the entire materials cost with little or no points recoupment.

This is not a complaint more as a matter of fact. The net result will be designers moving away from complex models and we will all be making key tags in a couple months :laughing: . This is kind of the exact opposite of what MW stated it was trying to achieve.

Not sure what the solution is though. Prints are a necessity to weed out the junk and the old points system couldn’t go on forever. I am afraid the complexity of the models will decline until MW phases into the paid model system that I suspect is in the long term plans.

3 Likes

Yes this is what I’m saying. We will all be forced into making keychains🤣. I love the thought that that’s what MW turns into. Something definitely needed fixed with their system to fix people exploiting it. I’m fine with them trying different things. They are killing it in a aspects so I wouldn’t see why that would stop now.

I will say I like the idea of boosts. Honestly it feels good when it tells me the person’s name of who gave the boost. I’m sure they will figure out a way to fix it to keep most everyone happy I’m just not seeing what that answer is right now.

I definitely could see a paid model route. That’s probably why they are promoting boost as dollars. To start people thinking about that. I tried selling one model on printables and no downloads. I sell it on cults and I’ve made like 15 sales on it. It will be interesting to see what happens with MW.

I don’t think it’s a necessity for uploading a file. I can tell by the preview that it’s printable or not or if I’m going to have to use supports. If I post an upload without a printed picture then you could choose just not to download it right? I get no points and then it’s on me to try and get your download by providing a printed picture right? If no one downloads it then I’m not out anything and I need to go back and fix my listing.

There is a designer who designs the same type of stuff over on cults and they never post a printed picture. They charge upwards of $10 to get the files and they usually require supports just looking at the geometry. They usually get 50 plus downloads. All without a picture of it printed.

I understand if I were asking for people to print my profile that hasn’t been tested. That’s one thing.

1 Like

I apologise for misinterpreting your post. I don’t think points/rewards earned should be a deciding factor in whether to stay or go. Thats just me, I’m not here for business or profit.

6 Likes

The first thing i do before deciding wether or not to print a design, is to scroll down the page for reviews and pictures of models, i find this can instill confidence that a print will succeed and not waste my time (not always the case) human behaviour often requires evidence, because thats how we work ,no pictures with comments is basically blind faith and why should i have that in any designer ? id just prefer to close the page

5 Likes

because if you like the model and can’t get it anywhere else thats why you would trust the designer. If you need a whole bunch of proof then you would move on from my model and go find something else. It costs you nothing to look at it or even to download it.

1 Like

I’m not looking for profit persa. I’m looking to fund my 3d printing hobby. If you want downloads and eyes on your designs then going to printables is a better option then makerworld. I’m not sure why you would design for makerworld if you don’t care about money or funding the hobby.

Proofs in the pudding , honest, ask any chef ,

2 Likes

I 100% agree with Bambu’s decision on this.

I made a mistake a few times downloading on another 3D printing site assuming a print would work then after printing realized the person didn’t make something printable at all. I now know to confirm, but it is much better to be able to assume that a model on a 3D PRINTING site is actually printable.

Better that the person posting the model spends their money making sure it is printable, then multiple people wasting their money for filament on models that are not printable.

11 Likes

I think it is very foolish to think that I as a model printer should trust that Your design actually prints well at all if I don’t see PROOF of that in your upload as a PRINT. No, you CANNOT determine 100% that your design is printable or worth anyone’s time to print and OUR material if you haven’t printed the design first. Sorry, that is a requirement here and should be on any model site. I’ve been first printer on a few items and have regretted it. Lost material and time. And I design also. If 2 parts should fit together a certain way the ONLY way to insure they do is print them.

6 Likes

You may be able to tell, but what about other users? Remember, Bambu is marketing their printers to ALL level of users and Maker World should be friendly to even beginners. Maker World enforcing this makes sure that all users will have a good experience.

I do understand how recent changes will lower the incentive to want to print your models before sharing, but lowering the standard isn’t the answer. Make World should not step back from requiring prints.

4 Likes

I’m with you. I can see them trying to make this accessible to everyone and they are doing a great job at it but if they mess with this formula too much and go to let’s say what printables offers as rewards it’s going to turn into very basic models being uploaded. Which maybe they are fine with that due to all the tools they are bringing out for makerworld.

I can 100% tell if a cube is going to print or not and what orientation it would need to be in. That being said if it’s a model from 3d print bunny or Clockspring3d I might need alittle guidance on what print settings I’ll need.

I recently uploaded a new design that took multiple test prints to make sure all the elements worked together, actually printed given the somewhat complex use of materials and tolerances for parts that were meant to fit together were spot on.

I’m talking about my hollow clocks.

• The clock hands needed the perfect diameter holes to grip the mechanism.
  • The clock mechanism needed to fit in a housing.
  • It needed a universal socket and plug for the stand, wall hook and spacer.
  • The universal joint needed to be tight enough to fit, but, still possible to remove if needed.
  • The clock housing has a hollow ring and the clock is round, I had to work out how to handle very long overhangs without the ability to use support.
  • There is a transparent 0.2mm front to the hollow ring, it needed to be strong enough that it didn’t come off as such a tiny surface makes contact.
  • The thickness and width of the ring needed to be suitable for the contents that were going in.
  • The hole to put the contents into it needed to be sized and a door made that could cover it when full that also didn’t require supports with the door being the correct tolerance that it wouldn’t fall out.
  • The designs used needed to work with a maximum of 4 filaments due to a my wanting as many people as possible to be able to print it.
  • I had to test both PLA & PETG versions as transparent PLA isn’t as common as PETG.

Had I simply guessed that would all come together on the first go without printing any of it, then anyone who gave it a go would have been very disappointed as many things needed multiple attempts to get them to print & function correctly.

When people look at them, they may think they look simple, but, I lot of work went into them. That’s the genius of great design! Yeah, I’m a self-congratulatory idiot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

If I came across a design as I just described then I would want to see pictures. If I came across a drinks coaster, I want to know it’s going to print. If I came across a simple cube - I want to see a photo.

I personally believe if the designer doesn’t have the time to print their own work then they don’t have trust in the outcome.

A photo of the work is a mark of quality in my opinion.

I didn’t include a link to the clocks as that is not the purpose of this comment.

8 Likes

I don’t disagree with this of this. But what I am saying is if they lower the amount of points(money) you get from models then it’s going to be harder to justify making and printing those models. And now you want to make it even harder to earn points by not allowing me to post files because I haven’t printed it?

Does it hurt to have a file up that doesn’t have a print? I’m not holding a g u n to your head and telling you to print my model. It’s simply just there.

The way you describe your model it sounds complicated. My are not complex in that way. I would want pictures of your model and an instruction manual. But if the points are there is it worth your time?

I’m also having a hard time accepting why the points fell.

However, that is an issue with the designer and BL.

I strongly feel the printed evidence that you’re required to provide is a necessity and a good idea as this is the contract between you and the user who chooses to download & print your designs.

They have to trust that your design can be printed and what it will look like when printed, no matter the real or perceived complexity.

Using just one example; the hueforge prints. The vast majority of these show a beautiful looking photo in glorious colour and the ‘promise’ is, that’s what you’ll get if you print it, because, what other information have you got to go on?

The reality is, no hueforge ever looks like the photo, some look great, most do not. A good hueforge needs to be tuned well and matched with the perfect pigments. If the designer prints it and it looks bad, the designer can tweak it until it looks good and then take a photo to prove it looks good and demonstrate to the user that if they also have the correct pigments, theirs can look good.

However, the reality is, most people providing hueforges are just running a photo through a service to create the STL and never actually printing them.

The same is true for designs that aren’t hueforges.

Your ’contract’, so to speak is with the user and it is the user that needs to trust that their hard earned money turned into filament will look like what they expected.

It’s also a quality test. When a user prints something and it curls up, doesn’t stick to the plate during printing, a piece falls off during printing, doesn’t work on the A1 mini or A1 because it’s a bed-slinger and the vibrations are the cause of the failure (I have experienced this), that PETG doesn’t stay stuck down because the shape invites failures - YOU know and can demonstrate - it does work because you have the proof.

Finally, if you haven’t the want enough to even provide a photo to act as evidence of a successful print, you have probably decided the cost benefit of using MW isn’t for you. That is fine, people do things for different reasons.

If you can’t justify the cost, use one or more of the many other services. That’s fine and commendable as you made a decision based on circumstances, an honest decision.

5 Likes

Again, FOOLISH response. A cube? Really? You are uploading cubes? Obviously not. Quit WHINING and print your dang designs. IT IS A REQUIREMENT. AND HAS BEEN SINCE MW STARTED. Its Nothing new.

1 Like