Top interface layers?

What does this slicer setting do? Both the tool tip and wiki entry describe the result, but not what the practical effect of the setting is:

The number of top interface layers. The overhang quality can be improved if we increase this value, at the cost of slightly more material.

What is a “top interface layer”? What is the practical result of increasing or decreasing this value?

Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks!

The printed part is a red cube
The support are orange
The interface layers are white

Interface are more dense than support for quality purpose, it is good to use special support material for those interfaces layers and 0 z gap to get a nearly perfect result

1 Like

I’ll take a stab at it. I’ve noticed that if I have only a few layers on a fairly open infill, there can be a bit of droop in between each line of infill. One top layer will have divots, a second will have less and a third will be flat enough for most purposes. If I want it really flat, I might go for four or five top layers.
With the interface, more top layers would probably do the same. If you use support W and 2 or 3 top layers on top of a open fill, it would be more akin to building directly on the build plate than it would be with only one layer. The result is saving material in the infill and using it where it’s needed most. At least that’s how I interpret it.

@DzzD thanks for your graphic and response. The interface layer shown, is that set at the setting “Top interface layers”? If so, I’m guessing the image has more than 1 interface layer? It only seems to let you pick 0-3. Have you found a sweet spot for number of interface layers? Thanks in advance.

This picture was just for illustration purpose, there are a lot too much interface layers on it, 2 or 3 are usually enough.

If you use special support materials for interfaces, (Support-W) or PETG interface for PLA or PLA interface for PETG, you can set z-gap to zero and get a nearly perfect result, at least on flat areas.

Dont forget to only use different filament for the interfaces layers, it will often save huge amount of time & filament (less filament change).

1 Like

Cool! I appreciate your help! Thanks :pray:

For anyone reading this, the names have changed from “Support-W” to “Support for PLA”. etc. It was kind of silly to make it cryptic. And W stood for white and it’s not white anymore.