Top layers issues

Did you solve this. I just bought a new P1S and it print beautifully except the last layer. It is brand new, has been calibrated for flow etc and I have run it at slow speed but I still get a terrible top layer. Even with ironing turned on it is not much better.

It really depends on your expectation. Without a picture of your top layer it’s hard to know what you qualify as a “terrible” top layer.

4 Likes

I dont seam to be able to attach a photo. I click on the photo icon and add a jpeg and it comes back and says i am not allowed to add media to my post. Is there another way to add it?

My prints are really good on a Prusa Mk3 and Flsun v400. The first layer on the P1S is probably better than my other printers but the top layer is a smudged rough surface.

Can someone confirm the solution to this?

I have cleaned the rods and retightened the belts.

There really needs to be a “sticky” with this information as it seems to trip up lots of new folks.

4 Likes

It is not very helpful for new members directed here by Bambu Labs to resolve issues! Will read some post tomorrow but thinking of sending this awful printer back to the shop!!

4 Likes

Although I don’t see an image, I suspect it’s the flow ratio. What Filament are you using? Did you calibrate it?

I used new eSun PLA+ and calibrated the flow etc 0.98 flow and k=0.02 from memory. I wish i could show you a picture of how bad the top surface is, perhaps tomorrow after I have read lots of forums and been allowed to upload a photo.

I can now upload a picture!

Awesome, thanks for the picture. That looks like over-extrusion to me. Could you try to re-run the calibration in Bambu Studio?

From memory? You need to calibrate the filament using the printer. Your picture shows an over extrusion problem.

4 Likes

Also start with a temp tower. That just looks like entirely uncontrolled flow.

I have run the Bambu Studio calibration 4 times now, on 2 different eSun PLA+ reels. The results are the same k= 0.02, Flow = +5 and 0 (0.98) although none of the flow results were particularly smooth, all had lines and rough edges. I was also wondering about the temperature. eSun works best at 218/220C on all my other printers and 220C is the Bambu Labs default temp, but the print looks far too hot or not enough cooling (Fan on 100%). Not good for a printer that is supposed to be plug and play. I am going to try again later today using the Bambu Basic filament supplied with the machine. I have also raised a ticket with Bambu Labs and await their reply.

As it looked like too much heat I removed the printing head cover which came off with a loose wire, it looked as if the cooling fan wasn’t connected. Is this possible? Anyway I reconnected the cable to the board (poor fit with the cables hitting the plug underneath) and printed again. This time the results were much better (but not perfect). I did the Calibration again and again the results were 5 and 0 and 0.015. I am now reducing the flow rate down from 0.98 to 0.97, 0.96 etc and am getting better results. I am also reducing the temperature from 220 to 215. The result as shown are now more acceptable but still fall short of my other printers, especially the Prusa M3 and Mk4 which produce a lovely smooth top finish. Will keep trying different settings as the Bambu Calibration settings seam a long way out (also I get the same calibration results using a range of different filaments, and the same values as somebody else on YouTube showing how to do it!).

Rather than re-printing your model multiple times with different flow ratios, download OrcaSlicer and use the flow rate calibration from the top menu. It will show you the effect of a range of values and let you tune the rate even finer than the Studio calibration.

It takes a little time and filament, but probably less of either than printing your model just once. You can then use the value in Studio or OrcaSlicer.

OrcaSlicer’s temperature tower and pressure advance calibrations may also improve overall results.

Great advice, thanks.

I have loaded Orca Slicer and the results are the same, regardless of k value the flow test comes out with the smoothest print with a value of +5 and zero. The temperature tower doesnt show much difference between the temperatures, any differences appear to be random. The top part which should be the coldest shows the most stringing so I am not convinced the heating or cooling is working correctly. Any ideas