TPU, AMS and no access to the back of the printer

Hi there,

I have got P1S with AMS. I have a very difficult access to the back of the printer and I really need to print TPU. I wonder, if there is any chance to use AMS hub to switch between AMS and sideloaded TPU.

Or is there any other sensible solution?

Print a side mount spool holder. One of many models available:

2 Likes

This and a Y-Splitter?

Got ninja’d

1 Like

I use the side mount noted by @lkraus but having my spool of TPU break the body and fall to the floor, I reprinted it, the roller support and the guide arm with 100% infill. No problems since. I like it because it’s higher than stock and accessible at the side.

Keep in mind, you have to manually feed and remove a filament on the external mount.TPU was a little cranky as I had to manually engage the filament cutter several times to extract it. And yes, the cutter was sharp.

I like the side spool holder that slot into the bottom of the AMS.

4 Likes

I use one similar to @lkraus but chose to not do a ball bearing version. I have some spools that want to keep rolling and can tangle if they roll too far. This is the one I use, it uses the original metal spool holder from Bambu. It works fine with Overture cardboard spool.

That looks like it would work on an AMS I have on a shelf. I have lights under the AMS on top of the printer and already printed a riser that goes to the edge of AMS bottom. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Edit: Oh yeah, I like having feed tube for the side mount. :wink:

Thank you so much. You are the only one who understood my question. Actually I found this solution 1h ago anyway - many thanks for your help!!!

Hallo,

Habe das gleiche Anliegen!! Geht es ĂĽber den HUB, oder nicht??

gl tobi

The Y splitter adds an additional path after the buffer.
Normally, the tube from the AMS goes through the buffer then joins the tube coming out of the top of the printer via a union connector. This gives a complete path for the filament from AMS to extruder. If you want to use a external filament holder of any kind, you need to take the union off and guide filament into the tube coming out of the top of the printer as shown here. The Y splitter takes place of the union. Now when you want to use an external holder, after making sure the AMS has retracted the previous filament, you can insert the new filament into the open end of the Y. You can see this in the picture @lkraus posted above.
I do not know if you can use the Bambu Lab hub in place of the splitter. Info on the hub vs buffer is here
I am sorry for the English wiki links, I don’t think there is a German language version of the wiki.

Der Y-Splitter fügt nach dem Puffer einen zusätzlichen Pfad hinzu.
Normalerweise verläuft der Schlauch vom AMS durch den Puffer und verbindet sich dann über einen Verbindungsstecker mit dem Schlauch, der oben aus dem Drucker austritt. Dies ergibt einen vollständigen Pfad für das Filament vom AMS zum Extruder. Wenn Sie einen externen Filamenthalter jeglicher Art verwenden möchten, müssen Sie die Verbindung abnehmen und das Filament in den Schlauch führen, der oben aus dem Drucker kommt, wie hier en/x1/manual/loading-filament). Der Y-Splitter erfolgt anstelle der Vereinigung. Wenn Sie nun einen externen Halter verwenden möchten, können Sie, nachdem Sie sichergestellt haben, dass das AMS das vorherige Filament zurückgezogen hat, das neue Filament in das offene Ende des Y einführen. Sie können dies im oben geposteten Bild von @lkraus sehen.
Ich weiß nicht, ob Sie den Bambu Lab-Hub anstelle des Splitters verwenden können. Informationen zum Hub vs. Puffer finden Sie hier
Es tut mir leid fĂĽr die englischen Wiki-Links, ich glaube nicht, dass es eine deutschsprachige Version des Wikis gibt.