TPU and Hub?

I have just changed from Creality with Sonic pad to an Bambu X1C AMS. I love it is an understatement… BUT I have one problem, I do quite a bit of TPU 95 and 83a prototyping and according to the info I have read I cannot load it into the AMS. OK so I looked at my options and printed a Y splitter with the P4 connections etc. I haven’t tried it as yet but as I was scanning the net I saw this picture which shows an external spool connected to a hub. It seems to indicate that the hub actually loads the filament from the external spool to the DD print head. So I am trying to verify if this is the case as the Y splitter is a bit of a faff as I would have to unload the AMS (not a problem) but manually feed the external TPU filament through the Y splitter. Again looking at this picture if the hub feeds the filament then technically your could have 1 AMS and 3 external spools connected with no manual feeding other than changing spools. I would love some feedback on this please.

2 Likes

or can we connect a filament dryer to the hub?

2 Likes

Yep this picture is obviously a spoof… cannot be done… back to the Y splitter… :joy:

1 Like

Well the obvious problem here is that the printer only knows how many AMS units are connected and assumes they’re attached to the AMS hub in order from top to bottom, so without firmware modifications the picture is impossible because the printer wouldn’t know about the standalone spool attached to slot 4. So this would have to be done by Bambu, not a user mod.

The other reason it wouldn’t work is because there is no motor to retract the filament back through the AMS hub to change filaments - that’s done by the AMS.

1 Like

Did someone tried this with the newer software versions?
The separate spool can now be selected in the slicer and has to be manually feeded.
Can I do the manuel feed over one free AMS Hub port?

Of course I know that there are no motors in the AMS hub, so I have to feed the filament all the way into the extruder and have to manuelly remove it after the print.

I don’t talk about any auto filament switcher or multicolor, just using the AMS Hub instead of one of those ugly Y splitters when I have a filament typ which is not supported in the AMS like TPU.

Update: Tried this on my own, works like expected!
You can feed manually into an empty AMS Hub slot when you select the external spool in the software.

The printer seems not to care about where the filament is coming from as long as the extruder can pull it. You have to manually unload the filament after the printing job.

ams-internal-hub-unit as well as the AMS power hub is sold as an sparepart and Linear feed wire drives in high-end industrial quality are cheaply on the market and soft touche / soft drive not unknown at all… so never say never.

But i also think the picture is fake.

So your saying that on the external AMS hub. You can feed tpu through one of the empty ports to the extruder and then load manually as normal.
Or one could use the new A1 splitter which is smooth also. Its a 4 inlet to one outlet splitter.

Nice!:+1:

1 Like

Like shown in the picture of the first post.
X1C + 2x AMS + AMS Hub.

Then you can select the external spool in the slicer, the printer is asking for manual feeding. Than you can insert your filament over one of the free AMS Hub ports manually. You have to feed the filament all the way up to the extruder.

When the print is finished, you have to click unload and pull the filament all the way back manually.

I guess the new AMS lite hub will only work with the A1 printer and not the normal AMS for P1/X1.

That picture :joy: fake guys sorry. I just printed the Smooth-Y splitter for both my X1C’s. It’s totally changed my printing game. Bought some not so good in the AMS filaments because they are harsh, and it’s so easy. Just click the outer spool slot and hit load. I push the filament almost to the tool head. Then when ready it’s another little push and it grabs it. So much better than disconnecting the tube.

Those one who can read are in advantage :wink:

So by one AMS hub with one AMS added you can feed Manuel through 3 accesses.
Here is someone who manually feeds fillament into a Prusa very quickly with a lot of information and experience about manual feeding systems:

What would then be nice is a linear wire soft feeder that can be connected to the AMS as a second single AMS. But @BambuLab would better call some professional Companies in this segment. They’ve been working on this topic for a few decades and haven’t hit there heads as well… You can get such professional feed devices from 50 USD out of the box (without control so it cannot currently be integrated into the funding system but thats the topic in which Bambulab is very strong).

and an additional piece of information: the smaller the tolerance between the wire and the guide tube and the smaller the bend, than higher and more centered is the friction surfaces zone. Larger diameters of the guide tubes also mean a larger abrasion area (the contact points are randomly distributed over a larger area); in the case of an arch, the potential abrasion area is also reduced and is concentrated on the outside of the arch. So arches are always highly critical with an asbrasive or adhesive materials (Even in steam-carrying systems). The arches always requires a high level of accessibility for maintenance…

If you have a push system, keep the guide tube small to keep the output as precise as possible. If you have a pull system, keep the guide tube larger. If you have a push-pull system, keep the guide tube to the puller larger; the play in the guide tube also compensates for deviations between the pusher to the pull… .However, the pushers must always be able to move material flexibly (Slipping or stopping with minimal increase in delivery capacity). Pressure from the pusher on the puller is not permitted, as are large contact surfaces with long guide tubes.

Are we really talking about the picture in the first post?
The picture which is clearly a marketing pic from bambu lab where someone added a spool with photoshop to demonstrate what he is trying to do?

YES of course this is not a real picture… but it will work that way, I tested it.

1 Like

@eRacoon

I can confirm your statement - thank you.

Well sorry for this double post but something was happen:

It’s hard to believe: Today - I took a look at the P1P and may onece in a lifetime i will click on this buy button… since I need every day more 3D Printing parts and it getting hard to wait 3-4 monath more.

Which is still holding me back a bit: A comparison list of all spare parts that can be used on a X1 as well as on the P1. There will definitely not be a second X1 comming as well as not a complit second spare part set for both of them - so may if someone ever look for the review video no° 1001 of a Bambulab X1C / P1P - comparison list of spareparts between both of them is a topic which is not coverd at all by anyone.

Well, I’m not always the most pleasant person, but I make note of it whenever I mess around on something - at some point something will be happen…

So have a good start into the new year for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like