TPU95A vs TPU95AHF, how high is high?

I ran out of the BL TPU95A so I got a roll of the new TPU95A HF which is advertised as “High speed” with a Max Volumetric Speed of 12 mm³/s vs 3.6mm³/s. I ran the Orca slicer Pressure Advance, Flow Rate and Max Speed calibration tests and here’s how the two filaments compared:

TPU95A	TPU95AHF 
Pressure Advance	0.5	    0.17
Flow Rate		    1.0	    1.06	
Max Vol. Speed		3	     5

It looks like the H stands for “Higher”, not necessarily “High” as I can not get a good quality at the advertised max speed. The model still prints great at 5 mm³/s and this giant cushion now prints in 3 hours instead of 5 and I can appreciate that but is there a trick to reach the advertised 12 mm³/s?

Here’s what the Max Speed test ribbon looks like, degradation starts at 6 so I settled on 5:

and here’s the printed model at 5 mm³/s"

Do you have a modified or odd configuration?

Personally, the HF TPU is significantly higher flow when compared to normal TPU (although I’ve never used the BBL Base TPU). On mine, 0.4mm nozzle at .28 layer height, it ran very well and made every bit of the 12mm3 flow volume. My flow test showed I could probably go an additional 15%, but I leave that on the table for repeatability.

Overall, I’m happy with the BBL HF TPU, but haven’t tested it against a 3rd party HF TPU like Overture’s. BBL’s is about $10 more expensive and doesn’t work in the AMS, so there is no good reason to spend the extra money if they work the same.

No, but I used the .20 layer height profile. I’ll see if .28 makes any difference.

It shouldn’t, not sure why we would have two completely different results from the same material. I would suggest just re-running the test and confirm you have the BBL HF profile selected.

Turns out “H” can mean high after all, if you deHydrate your filament properly first. My bad.

More about TPU …

1 Like