Trouble printing PETG from Bambu Lab

Hey, I have no trouble printing PLA with my P1S (P1P with P1S upgrade kit) but the prints with PETG look horrible.
Did anyone experience the same issues? Or any suggestions?
I ran the standard Bambu Lab settings and it’s their PETG. And the filament was brand new.

Have you tried drying the filament?

@BrandoCZ, what layer height are you using?

other filaments are fine?

No, since it was brand new I didn’t think it was necessary.

Standard 0.2mm preset from Bambu Lab

Both of my spools of Bambu PETG printed nasty until I dried it over night. It’s now much better. It still has a tendency to drool but the parts look OK and there aren’t a bunch of tiny droppings all over the build plate.

So far I have only printed PLA but without any issue.

Okay, I do not have a dryer… and I wasn’t planning on getting one…
But maybe I will try to dry the filament in the oven.

If you have down time on your printer, and it’s one of the models so equipped, it can act as a filament dryer.
See this page in the wiki. I don’t know if it’s an X! exclusive or if the P1S can do it also.

If your printer does not have this feature, and your oven can control the temperature to between 55 and 60 °C without over shoot for hours you could use it but most home kitchen ovens don’t have that kind of control so the result is usually some sort of art project rather than a spool of dry filament. There are a ton of ways to dry filament, there are dry boxes, there are dedicated dryers, you can use a food dehydrator from the thrift store and so on. The key is very tight control of the heat with no hot spots. I went with one and done and got the eibos easdry. Good temperature control and a fan. Not saying it’s the best but it’s not let me down. Except for when the string pull came apart on the door and I had to take the door apart to re-attach it.

PS, every spool of Bambu filament I’ve used is so wet it drives the AMS humidity way up. I now dry every spool of Bambu before use. Overture is dry enough I don’t bother unless it’s a filament known to be hygroscopic like nylon.

Very interesting! I have some silica gel in my AMS and with the PETG inside it still shows 10% humidity… but I will look for my Geeetech PETG and try that one. Then I can compare it.
My oven for sure can’t hold the temperature…

Thanks for the detailed answer!!

So I tried Geeetech PETG and the results were much better. The walls had no issues but the infill was still destroying itself at the front part.
Maybe I will look into a dryer… next year. :smiley:

That looks like the bed scraper handle. Is it the inbuilt file or did you get it from the knowledge sharing part of the wiki? The reason I ask is that the inbuilt has been sliced specifically for Bambu filament and probably won’t print well with any other type while the one from the wiki, or maybe makerworld, I don’t use it so it doesn’t occur to me to look there, should work fine.

I have the same problem with PETG from Bambu Lab and found only 2 solutions.
You can reduce the print speed (which I do not want) or ramp up the temperature for all layers except the first from 255°C to 270°C … with this I have no problems at all anymore. With the standard settings my prints look exactly like yours… sometimes even worse :wink:

I too have had trouble with Bambu PETG. Overture PETG prints with the defaults and no drying. I keep your results in mind next time I print Bambu PETG.

Hey, both prints (in green and white) are from the wiki.

Interesting people are having difficulties with Bambu PETG. I looked for the cheapest PETG on Amazon when I needed some, last time was Creality PETG. Printed perfectly with Bambu’s generic PETG profile. No drying, no modifying parameters. Left the spool in open air for couple weeks and still prints perfectly. Glad I didn’t pay the premium for Bambu’s PETG!

I have printed various PETGs with my Artillery before and had no issues at all.
Switched to Bambu and printing with other Filaments (Overture, Orbitech, …) worked with the default PETG profile fine. (without drying)

Got now an AMS and ordered multiple Bambulab PETG and it is just disappointing.
All prints have the same issues as reported here.

Already tried to tune the profile retraction etc. but no real change.

Will try the 270 °C approach.

Looks like WETG to me

update #1

@darktooth changed to 270 °C for the Basic Bambu PETG and my prints have improved alot. thx!

They are not perfect as PLA but close!