Turn the direction of PTFE tube exiting the AMS by 90 or 180 degree?

I noticed that the PTFE tube that comes out of the AMS unit (1 in the image above) is directed upwards, and it has to make a u turn and go down towards the printer, I was wondering if it was possible to rotate that by 90 degrees if the AMS is on the left or right. and even turn it 180 degrees to the down position so it goes into the printer without a U bend?

I dont think its possible because the parts behind the rubber grommet on the back of the ams are point up. I have my ams-es on a shelf on the rhs one on the same height as the machine base and the other at the same height as the machine glass lid. I have no issues with either ams feeding or retracting for 1300 hours of printing. I only use bambu filament do have color changes in some prints for labels and clear windows. I never print color ornaments or toys.

To mod the internal hub position would be possible but probably for very little gain, if any. In its current form, the sweep is reasonably free running albeit a bit long, but functions how it should. I personally run my AMS on the left side and have moved my Buffer to align it (left side) which effectively shortens the route and makes it a little less of a sweep. It is reliable (800hrs like this) and doesn’t suffer any increased wear, it only takes 10min to set it back to stock standard again if I should have the desire.

2 Likes

I really like that. Could you share or link to the files of your buffer mod?

@yashrg the one pictured below, there are a couple of variations.

The reason why I believe the rubber gasket was designed with the PTFE tube to come out at that angle was to maintain the curvature of the wound filament. If it were to come out straight or pointing down, it’d be subjected to a sharper bend that would increase the likelihood of filament breaking or jamming in the middle, and increase wear and tear on the PTFE tubes. The curves the filament needs to make on it’s way to the extruder need to be gradual to make printing easier and less of a headache.

Your theory sounds feasible. I’ve experienced the catching on inferior “splitters” in the past with end of roll filaments. I have learnt to keep my routing fairly basic with square cut ends and joints that are tight.