Uneven color when printing eSun Matte PLA

Hi, When printing eSun PLA-matte filament on the P1S, I noticed that the surface looks uneven in colour. It looks blotchy. There are many light-coloured, almost white spots. Does anyone know this? Is this perhaps to do with the temperature? What settings are you using for eSun? I am using the configuration that can be downloaded from the eSun website for the P1S. It would be great if anyone could give me a hint on what to improve. Thanks!

The light colored areas are also rougher than the dark areas. I would perform my own calibrations for temperature, flow ratio and pressure advance.

1 Like

Hi Ikarus, thanks a lot for your help! I did the manual calibration in Bambu Studio as you suggested. The result during the test was fine, but my model still did not get out good… Similar to before. Especially when I activate ironing. It is better without ironing, but I would like to smooth the surface. You also wrote that I should calibrate the temperature. In Bambu Studio I can only find Flow Dynamics and Flow rate. Where do I calibrate the temperature?

There are lots of models available to compare temperature settings. Try a search on Makerworld, Printables, etc. I prefer to use OrcaSlicer as it has a very good set of calibration tools built into it and offers more control over print settings.

Great, thanks a lot! I’ll check that out.

As others have said this is tempertaure, but can also be a combiation of temperature and speed. For parts where the model is printed slowly, the filament will be hotter, where the print head can speed along, the filament will be cooler. You could also try limiting the speed of the printer, and seeing if this makes a difference - but do this AFTER you do the temperatures, as it’s more likely that on a object like this.

2 Likes

I use many varieties and colours of the eSun range, including matte colours.

I have never experienced that outcome.

I have also stuck to the generic PLA & eSun PLA+, options from BS, I have not bothered with anything from eSun directly.

My results have always been excellent.

Try switching to the generic option or the eSun PLA+ (when using actual PLA+).

Thanks very much for your help. I’ll try that.

Never been a huge fan of the eSun Matte PLA, I usually buy spectrum matte PLA from 3D Printing USA, it is a little bit more expensive but I have only had an issue with 1 roll out of around 40 or so that I have printed with, and they replaced it for me for free and let me keep the other roll lmao. Now I just use it as a test spool, prints fine, just not very matte.

But all the others I have used seem to print really nice and they leave a very nice matte finish, the other thing I like is that it doesn’t have that sandy grainy feeling like some other matte filament does, it still feels really nice and smooth.