Unload filament operation failed to detect front cover was removed

When I want to unload filament, it makes sense to heat the nozzle. What doesn’t make any sense is making the extruder dance around the chamber. Even more so with the front cover of the extruder assembly removed.

I had the cover hanging to the side and just needed the filament out of the way. I tried pulling from the AMS, but the goofy behavior of the AMS motor fought me on it. I gave the command to unload the filament, and it traveled the whole chamber with the front cover removed and got caught on the cover when it went to the back of the chamber over the poop chute. I heard some motors give, so I don’t know if there was damage that resulted or not. I expect that some crashes would be expected so chances are that it’s ok, but that was a scary thing to watch.

Please at least prevent this dancing of the assembly when the front cover is removed. Even better, also give us direct control to just make the AMS retract the filament.

This is not a bug, it’s operator error. Moving the printhead to cut the filament at the front left corner is a normal part of the unloading procedure and should have been expected.

2 Likes

Not with the front cover off, which the system already senses for.

I suppose your car has a sensor to tell you not to drive with the hood up?