Unofficial Filament Spool/AMS Compatibility

For those who don’t know, there is an unofficial list of filament spools that do and don’t work with the AMS. You can find the list here: Bambu X1/AMS Community Spool List - Google Sheets

You can also submit your experiences with the google form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwRtad_6jYP_9DXWjxL_dL01Q79i3cDW9FnANVobcao9rmDA/viewform

15 Likes

Also, I need to do some measurements on the spools at some point, but based on a recommendation from the someone on the Discord group, I ordered a couple of spools of TPOIMNS PLA and they’ve worked great for me in the AMS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G6NWQP1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used the generic PLA setting in Bambu Studio. There’s a Black Friday deal going on right now where it’s $15.19 per KG.

2 Likes

I can confirm that eSun Luminous Blue PLA 1.75mm will work in the AMS. It smelled really, really horrible when printing… almost a skunky smell mixed with almost a burnt plastic smell. I was kinda worried that it was going to foul up everything, but it ended up turning out pretty good.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I was told on the discord server that glow-in-the-dark filament should not be used in the AMS. Apparently the partials in the filament that make it glow can be pretty hard on the gears/tubes/etc in the AMS… worse than wood fill. So, if you’re going to use this this stuff (and it is kinda fun stuff to print with) don’t use the AMS.

3 Likes

Is it possible to add a brand, or have other with a field that can be type written? I wanted to offer feedback for Yxpolyer -Amazon reference B09Y8JC9LB ( I can’t post links yet).

@Chris Great work on this. Now how do I add a brand to the list?

This is a boon, unfortunately I found this after buying some pla+ from anycubic. It’s been an absolute pain in the ass

Wont feed into the extruder, wont retract, but only inconsistently and so far only for multicolor jobs (i just want red lettering on this gray container clearly too much to ask for)

But anyway, thanks for sharing this and I’ll be using it going forward before buying any other filament

I also had issues with duramic PLA but that couldve been wet filament too, was too annoyed to bother after the 8th failure or so

Yeah, I sure appreciate that someone has put this list together, unfortunately, I have almost 20 spools of PolyTerra PLA that are cardboard… Also several older Overture cardboard spools as well. Wonder why the cardboard spools don’t work. Guess I’ll have to devise a way to make them feed right because I just got 3 AMSs LOL…

1 Like

Also used a friend’s Bambu yesterday and the RFID feature is really nice considering the spools don’t cost any more with it. Too bad you can’t buy re-codable RFID spools for when you reload with a non-bambu refill…

Cardboard spools do work but are abresive enough that tiny pieces come off and could clog up the AMS. There are solutions for this. I’ve seen 3D prints that you can attach to the cardboard spools that allow them to spin in the AMS easily. You could also put electrical tape along the edge or the cardboard spool. Check this out for more details. Polymaker cardboard spools.

Here’s one of the prints Printables. You also don’t have to use the AMS, you can by pass the AMS. This is useful: Notes for AMS | Bambu Lab Wiki

Would love it if this was an option! I have several rolls of exotic filaments that aren’t Bambu and I don’t have enough AMS slots so each time I print with one of those rolls I have to set it manually again. It could totally be a sticker that you slap to the side of the other-brand spools.

I do agree! Being able to create your own RFID with the filament presets would be awesome!

However, replacing RFID with a “sticker”. (QRCode etc) would require a hardware change as they are two different technologies. RFID uses radio frequency (RF in RFID) and sticker would need the addition of a camera. Also, to write to the RFID an additional hardware might also be required unless the current AMS/printer has write ability and not just read.

Have not looked at it but seems others have looked into the RFID tags.

1 Like

I was thinking sticker like shampoo bottles all used to have. Just a paper sticker with the RFID on the backside.

If they could be programmed from a computer with some sort of close proximity transmitter (set the sticker on it to program) then all the AMS would need to do is read.