Every time I try to go to GitHub and report bugs, I can’t find it. I’ve finally thought to report stuff here, I hope it helps.
If I’m trying to make a part and I need to work near the edge, the scan will go over the edge of the part. When rastering, the laser head follows this Z value if the laser is operating or not. This can lead to situations as (poorly) illustrated below. It is an attempt to show two passes of the laser. The laser is on during the green segments. The laser (focal spot) is traveling in the red areas, though no cutting is done. This leads to many semi-violent Z travels at best. At worst, a part will refuse to run because this sudden dive risks crashing the laser head.
The top image is the current operation, note the purple ellipse designating the motion I am describing.
The lower image shows my proposed solution: Use a “floor” for all the covered travel (this will allow full overscan and hopefully no large code changes), so that the head will not drop below the Z position of the last value it had when it left. If a change needs to happen, you can do it at the turn around point, adopting the Z of the fist laser-on position. Something like:
Z (X for >X(laser-off)) = floor(X(laser-off),scan’s Z(X))
Obviously bumps sticking up at the toolhead would still need dodging, in some cases, but any value less there’s no reason to move saving wear and time.
Ideally, non-focused bumps could be discarded the same way, but this would help a lot.
The other huge improvement from this - in those cases where I have a bowl shape on the slats, the drop from the upper lip of the bowl, past the edge, past the slats to the metal bed surface is too far, and the machine will very frustratingly refuse to cut a nearly flat surface, which this would catch.
The scan is the hard bits of a Quest 3 headset - which these lasers won’t mark but just melt.
Scans generally come out good, but I spend so long trying to align part with machine’s axis that it really turns me off using the system at all. It’s just not user friendly to have it refuse simple tasks without enough feedback in the software to make it work. And “engraving an object on the cutting tray” should not be too big an ask.
I like the proposal, And it definitely could be useful.
However you need to post this on GitHub at the Bambu Suite Development page.
But checking it seems for Suite it doesn’t exist
Hey, thanks for that. Yes, I’m frustrated because there is no official place. I posted it on GitHub for BStudio, but it does seem a Suite specific issue.
The hope was that public discussion would generate ideas better than I could come up with on my own.
No, I have not filed a ticket, but the tickets always wants gigabytes of useless, unrelated data. I wanted an option on the screen to turn the cooling fan on and off, and there is pages of tech support barriers where I’m looking for a suggestion box.
I submit that public discussions are the better way for the company to intake suggestions like these.
The amount of people that have run into an issue similar to yours is very very small. Hence the reason you haven’t gotten much of a response from the community.
I hope the suggestion doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.
From my own experience - I tried to etch things when i first got it, then put in a couple hours later, and again another time and just thought “well, I guess it can’t be done”.
I only remember being disappointed as the ads said I could but it never actually worked. Hopefully this expands what people (perceive that they) can do with it.
Happy to answer any questions about the implementation.
You can see here how the laser head narrowly avoids the side when it tries to drop to floor level: