Use of TPU

Hi

I understand that the AMS is not designed to be working with TPU and it’s not planned to change that.
If you need to print TPU anyhow, how do you do that? Do you disconnect the whole AMS or can you just remove one connector and feed the TPU manually?

What’s about the following idea: use a Hub with one AMS and use one of the other inputs to manually feed TPU? I doubt it’s supported in terms of software, but could it work?

Regards

3 Likes

On Thingiverse or Printables you will find a Y-conntector for the PTFE tube. To disable the AMS disconnect the plug and use the second entry from to Y-connector to push your TPU in. Don’t use the hub.

3 Likes

You mean this?
https://www.printables.com/de/model/254250-bowden-y-splitter-for-bambu-lab-x1

How is the tube secured? Does not look it will be reliable?

I using this one:
https://www.printables.com/de/model/308131-bambu-lab-y-splitter-with-pc4-m10-pneumatic-connec
it works perfect.

1 Like

I printed and use it myself (this model). Depends a bit on tolerances etc (I like higher speed and thicker layer lines) you may need to shrink the model. I shrinked it to 95% and it the PTFE tube snug fits enough to hold in place during operation of the AMS.

But if you have the components, the splitter Flashy has linked is surely more secure.

2 Likes

I printed this one here : Printables

1 Like

It works for me. Using one printed in PA. I have about 18" of tube in the other side which plugs into a dryer box for TPU, stuff I want to keep really dry, and stuff I can’t be bothered to load into the AMS for a 1 off.

1 Like

the latest firmware updates add the manual feed into the AMS view. i not sure how this actually works yet, i suspect maybe the need to unplug the ams is now removed.
re the Y connector, i just ordered 2 x of the item on etsy " bambu-lab-bowden-tube-y-splitter "… item ID /listing/1426351806 since it has all the bit included…

1 Like

No need to unplug anything when using a Y-splitter.
Whether you print from the Bambu Studio or directly from the printer, just uncheck the AMS checkbox. Push the filament from the external spool all the way until it reaches the print head. When the print starts it’ll just use the filament that’s there.
Before using the AMS again you will first need to unload the filament though, and pull it out and past the Y-splitter.

3 Likes

Hi, have you installed it? Is it worth the purchase?
I’m considering buying the same since I can’t find those bowden tube connectors locally, but it has no reviews on Etsy. Do you recommend it?
Thanks.

Have not received them yet. once i get them ( I ordered 2 ), i can provide an update.
Yes that is why i got these ones. it was all ready fitted with the tube connectors and comes with a longer screw to fix it to the back.
I also saw a external spool holder that sits up above the printer and looks like it can be adjusted to allow the AMS to sit on top. so i will be looking at those a bit later also.

got them the other day, installed one but only have the ams attached. still sorting the manual spool holder.
super easy to fit, remove a screw and the factory connector, slide this one on and use the includes screw.
it has some tiny black clips, not sure what they are for, but could be to help remove the connectors maybe… if that is ever required.

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I’ll order one for myself too.
I think the clips are to keep the connector extended to prevent accidental release of the Bowden tube. I’ve seen them on other connectors as well.