Volumemetric Speed by Filament Type and Brand

When picking between Bambu Labs’ filament or generic in Bambu Studio, one of the main differences in the settings is the volumetric speed. This greatly dictates the speed at which we can print. Bambu Labs has the value for its own PLA at 21mm^3/s whereas generic PLA is set at 12mm^3/s. Unfortunately, we know that this 12mm^3/s is not accurate for all brands. For example, the PolyTerra PLA is set at 22mm^3/s.

Everyone seems to point to running a max flow test to understand the volumetric volume for each generic filament but this seems wasteful. See:

Questions:

1. Is someone maintaining a list of the results from max flow tests? No point re-running tests for a filament that people have already tested with the X1C.
  2. Does Bambu Labs plan to add more filament brands to the Studio’s dropdown list? :crossed_fingers:

The easy answer would be to just always buy Bambu Labs filament but unfortunately, they seem to be permanently sold out in Canada and I’d like to make sure I’m getting the most out of 3rd party filament providers and this awesome printer.

1 Like

They are baselines, and we should be grateful they put something in there for “other than BL filament”.

In general, you can set all the “generic” filaments at 18mm^3 and print fine. Tuning all your filaments you use is the best bet. If you are brand loyal, Overture, Sunlu, Eryone, Durametric…then build a library.

Lots of us are tightwads and will buy what is the cheapest at the time, so it is some off brand on Amazon - ergo the 18mm^3.

I have better things to do than run 3 hours of test prints and tuning for a random brand I just bought and what ever color (yes color matters) and sheen, so I just use my default Generic Modified and go.

Than you SoftFever for making Orca Slicer with the calibration prints built in. Saves some time and does the job quite well.

I am grateful. So grateful, I’d love for them to do more of this.

Same here, that’s why I’m wondering if those who did spend the time are documenting their results anywhere. It would avoid others the hassle.

1 Like