Waves on X axis

Hi, I’m a new Bambu Lab A1 Combo owner. I have had this printer for one week and noticed a problem with my print quality.
There is vertical waving through the X-axis wall on the print. Y is perfect for my requirements but the quality on the X-axis is terrible.
I did some investigation and printed a VFA calibration model from OrcaSlicer. It shows perfectly the problem on almost every speed on the X-axis and how the Y-axis is perfect in comparison to the X.
The waves occur every 0.5mm at lower speeds and around every 1mm at higher speeds.
I noticed ghosting as well around holes ( see attached image )
Does anybody know how to resolve that problem?

Here is a thread from a simple search query. It has loads of info about VFAs. It’s just one of many threads about VFAs.

1 Like

I used search but as I found on the forum - I have to speed faster to make VFA less visible. In my case it does not depend on speed on each speed VFA looks very similar. My 10years old 50$ Prusa i2 doesn’t have that VFA as Bambu.

This is thee ole beat the dead horse kinda topic my good sir…

It’s what comes of the speed and motion kinematics of these CoreXY printers… Unfortunately you’ll see the same effects on the A1 series as well. There’s a handful of remedies to adjust that’ll change the severity of the “Waviness” but nothing to my conclusion fully rids of them.

The largest factors that play into this is filament type, speeds, and model orientation.

Some users have gone extensive routes as far as replacing the carbon rods, to replacing the “smoothed” pulleys for “Toothed” pulleys and show changes to VFA’s but I have yet to see the be all solution since those topics died off not long after they stated it was “fixed”…

If surface quality is a big factor for you I’d suggest doing a lot of research via reddit and the mods community group via facebook which have more details on users that have gone the full route of trying to solve this phenomenon

As pointed out there are quite a few threads talking about these issues, but nothing that is the smoking gun for fixing it. I tried everything that has been generally recommended and for me the only thing that made a difference for better or worse was changing the belt or temporarily altering the turning pulleys for X-axis where the toothed belt runs over a smooth pulley. My partial “fix” is wrapping around 30-50 layers of teflon tape around those pulleys as it seems to either fake the effect of having teeth or at least dampens the tension of the teeth pressing on the metal pulley.