Weird random infill pattern

I’ve created a model that is getting a very weird infill pattern when slicing. Regardless of the type of infill or the infill percentage, it shows up regardless.

Only thing I’ve been able to do to fix it, is remove a fillet from the 3D file prior before I convert to STL and that fixes the issue. I tried the initial model with a different slicer and this random infill doesn’t show up so I’m putting it down to the Bambu slicer.

Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this and if anyone has a solution

What do the layers above that point look like? Are the features in those locations? The slicer does something similar to provide attachment points for the edges of the first bridge layer. But that doesn’t look like the same thing to me.

Layers below are fine, layers above basically follow the pattern show above. Once it gets to the top layers, it is still the same. The image below shows the layers once they start to be filled up. The image below that shows the features that are on the model.

For some reason, the fillet that is on the edge of the three features seems to be causing the slicer to add those weird pieces.

For context, the below images are from the same layers, only difference is I’ve removed the fillets on the three feature edges.

Looks like a small slicer bug, it really should just build on top solid layer. I wish they had a modifier that you could assign to a specific layer that will make it do a solid layer like the unfilleted (if that’s a word) one. That would make signs look so much nicer.

That’s normal behavior. The three little towers are wide enough with the taper to not need the solid layer underneath so it won’t print it. The “weird” infill is to support the first full layer and start the infill for the three towers.

1 Like

Are you sure ? For example, lets say I wanted to print the infill at 5%, the slicer would add floating lines within the model. Surely that isn’t right.

I am sure. look at where the are located. You can see it in this picture really well.

I’m aware that the lines are being added for the three features due to the fillet but should the slicer allow floating geometry like that ? Even on higher infill, the geometry isn’t 100% supported which could lead to a failed print.

It’s been doing it since I started using Bambu Slicer a year ago. Fairly sure Cura does the same thing. Never had a failed print from it.

That amount flushed into infill isn’t going to fail the print.

2 Likes

You don’t happen to be getting errors in the bottom right corner about “non-manifold edges” after slicing, would you? I’m curious if adding the fillets are messing with your mesh and the slicer doesn’t know how to handle it, which is why you are getting floating geometry.

I’ve tried the model in Cura and it doesnt do the same thing hence why I’m not sure why the bambu slicer is doing it

Well maybe not a failed print but my concern is the small amount that isn’t supported lifts and then ends up as a blob somewhere else in the print.

No, not seeing any warnings or errors when slicing.

It won’t cause any more blob issues than the overlap areas of the grid infill you are slicing with. Suggest using a non crossing infill like Gyroid.

2 Likes