What do we do with the faulty build plate?

I’ve replaced the built plate in my A1 but what do I do with the old one? Just throw it out right?

In my neck of the woods, if i put metal out with trash on the side of the bin. Someone will pick it up and take it for money at the metal recycling center. Before the trash folks come buy.

2 Likes

To me, with anything that has that level of manufacturing, I would be reluctant to simply dispose of it. But that’s personal preference. One idea might be, if the heating element still works, I would try to repurpose it as a filament dryer.

Alternatively, if the magnetic base is attached, then I would use it for the opposite and use it as a magnetic cooling plate for build plates that come of the printer. I’d probably thermal epoxy some heat sinks underneath and then add active fans to accelerate cooling of the plate.

I could probably come up with a few more ideas but it would seem to me that such an object should be able find utility somewhere. But then again, I’m the kind of guy who salvages 18650 batteries out of laptops and repurposes the backlight of the display. :sunglasses:

You could buy a new surface sticker. Just need a razor blade to cut to size

If you ever build a filament dryer out of this, please post it here.

Maybe one can use it as a decorative refrigerator magnet? Maybe not to everyones taste, but still.

1 Like

You can probably repurpose it as a filament dryer but the heat bed alone doesn’t come with a temperature regulator, so it will continuously heat up. It works with 110-220 and up to 7A, so it’s quite a lot of power. Adding a controller is possible but then again, there are better and more elegant ways to build a filament dryer, like repurposing a terrarium heater which is a lot more compact.

Print a shadow box and mount it on the wall as “My first Recall”

1 Like