Who makes Bambu Labs filaments

I wonder if Polymaker makes the Bambu filaments anybody know?
Bambu is supposed to be a new company, and since they are, I think the focus would be on the Printer and not the Filaments in the beginning. The Bambu menu on the printer has the name and the specs for Polymaker and no other brand filaments. Most Polymaker spools are made of cardboard and are not recommended in the AMS. However, when you go to the AMS filament menu on the printer, the Polymaker option is an option on all eight slots of my two AMS units. It just seems that Bambu really is tight with Polymaker.
Does everyone know the answer but me? If you do, I would like your opinion.

Thanks, guys!

3 Likes

There was a similar discussion already wondering if the filament comes from eSun:

1 Like

There may be multiple suppliers. Many of us are certain that Support-W and Support-G are Polymaker PolySupport. eSun may also be a supplier.

2 Likes

Dont know, but eSun PLA+ print as good as Bambulab filament, you just need to tweek settings a little (mainly volumetric speed can be set to 20)

5 Likes

What is the difference between Support-W and Support-G ?
Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Support W is for PLA, Support-G is for higher-temperature filaments such as PETG, ASA, ABS and PA (Nylon).

2 Likes

Is Support W some kind of PVA ?

3 Likes

No - it’s formulated to print like PLA but not to stick to it. My guess is that it’s a variation of PETG (which is known to be used as a support for PLA) that prints at PLA-like temps. According to Polymaker’s data sheet, (again, I am convinced that this is “PolySupport for PLA”), it can also be used with TPU and PC in some circumstances but is not ideal.

PVA is a water-soluble filament. Support-W is a “breakaway” filament and is not water-soluble.

2 Likes

Cool, I did not know those breakable support, I only just eard from them cupple of days ago, I am gonna try this

1 Like

I tried those breakable supports, the finish is really nice !

2 Likes

Is using breakable supports worthwhile? It seems like prints would take forever and a day since the filament would need to change on every new level where a support exists. I guess the same could be said about printing with multiple colors though.

I think so - when using the regular filament for supports it can be the case that supports are hard to remove. The advantage of Support-W is that you can have a clean surface in small gaps. You should specify to the slicer that the Support-W is for interfaces only, so there will be fewer changes and you’ll use less of the support filament.

5 Likes

I mostly design functional part and always try to do them printable without support, but sometime to avoid multiple parts to clip it is a good choice especially when used for “interface only”

2 Likes

Try Polymakers Dissolve S1. You tell the Bambu it is PVA. Then when your print finishes, just soak it in water and take it out later. You cannot even tell you had to use supports. Tronxy makes it as well, and I bought some since it’s cheaper but have yet to try it.

2 Likes

I’ve had similar success with AquaSys GP soluble filament, but like all PVAs, you must dry them thoroughly before use in the AMS.

2 Likes

I use Verbatime BVOH and it works like a charm. Really great layer adhesion for a water solutable support and white range of temps that are supported. But only use for interface layers, or you will get broke with these kinds of PVAs.

1 Like

I will probably try even if I am really happy with breakable support W as the finish looks like a first layer and support are removed in few seconds.

I know this is waaay past the expiration date of this thread but how does one select as filament to be used only as the interface layers?

Change this:

2 Likes

To add to this discussion when I was at Formnext in Germany this past fall both Sunulu reps claimed to be the company making filament as we were looking for a maker to run our own brand. Esun did as well.