Why all these dust covers?

Are all these dust covers for everything inside a printer really necessary?
Has anyone seen a true benefit?

Missing picture?

no need for them probably just people printing them and making mods for it but i dont see the need of it as I tried some models before and I dont think its a must have personally. but you can try it out if you like

1 Like

I print a lot of ABS and Bambu wiki states the following:

The x-axis carbon rods should be checked once a month for any dust and particle buildup. If volatile filaments such as ABS or ASA are used, it is recommended to clean the rods every 5 rolls.

Which means there are particles depositing on parts of the printer but are they bad for the printer belts and ball screws that are almost impossible to cover.

I just don’t know if I should at least go ahead and print all sorts of covers to prevent premature wear on actual protectable things like bearings and motor windows.

At most I’d say 5% of them are good ideas and 90% are just useless/unnecessary but harmless. The rest are the worst, ones that are harmful in one way or the other. For example, I reckon the steppers’ life expectancy isn’t exactly improved by covering them with “dust protectors” that take away the little cooling they had.

3 Likes

i just dont like the idea of parts that can break or fall on the printer bed while it prints basicly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve put covers on every hole and or cavity I could find a printable dustcover for.

Why? You show me a piece of mechanical equipment that works better over time when contaminated with particles? Dust covers are an easy way of just keeping garbage out of the moving parts, in my opinion. So long as they don’t interfere with cooling or mechanical movement, what harm is there in taking preventative measures?

My biggest criticism of the bamboo enclosure design is that the enclosure is an absolute last-minute POS with very little common sense design. Why do I say that? Simply put, in what world does one create an enclosure intended to be kept warm, as in ABS, and then also put one’s electronics inside the same enclosure? Please show me an electronic component that likes it hot? electrolytic capacitors alone on the MC board and Power supply will age prematurely when run hot, this will decrease the lifespan of the product overall. The MC board and the Power Supply should have been in separate air cavities.

Bambu exhibits extreme naivete in their knowledge of thermal design. Want proof? Look at how the original MC board for the P1P heatsink was placed.

Although the fixed it for the P1S, they were sending it out with the fins in the wrong orientation if one wanted to install the optional fan which for the original P1P upgrade, was “highly” recommended. So if it was Highly recommended, why was the heatsink orientation blocking airflow? (upper right photo). Clearly, they didn’t plan proper airflow.

If Bambu had done this correctly, what they would have done first is to mount all of the electronics to a back plate that was isolated from the chamber, rather than putting the power supply and MC board inside the same air cavity as the print chamber. This would allow for easier cooling and maintenance.

The exhaust fan alone on the X1 and P1S is incorrectly placed as well. It just invites pulling in more air into the chamber rather than circulating the air interior to the charcoal filter. There is a bento box design that tries to remedy this, but why didn’t Bambu think of it first?

My current dust covers

Here’ are the locations that I currently have dust cover locations

And here’s a spot where I already had something fall inside the cavity and it took me forever to get it out because it is just perfectly shaped to capture pieces of filament. I haven’t found a cover for it online so it’s on my to-do list.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the detailed explanation of your points of view. I guess I will look for the ones that actually cover important moving parts.

Thanks again!