Why does Bambu PETG use more than Overture

Question…
I slice a model in Bambu Studio with Overture PETG that has been tuned in and it takes estimated 376g of filaments. When I slice it with Bambu Basic PETG, it estimates 459g. That is nearly 100g more.

Why is there such a huge difference in the two types of filament?

Is the density set in the two filament profiles the same? I believe the weight is only calculated from the volume extruded multiplied by density.

Good call :smiley: But I think there’s more behind it

blue = Pure brand difference, Red = Color difference within brand, green = Material difference

So it seems to be treating different brands (eg. 5 to 7) like different material types (eg. 3 to 5 or 7). Direction has a factor to. Less from Bambu, more to Bambu. Note that despite the density difference, 7 to 3 is identical to 7 to 5. Could just be a strange coincidence of course (the material/brand factor would need to coincidentally be the exact inverse of the density factor).

I wouldn’t too much stock in the weight estimates. I also wouldn’t trust the default values in the filament profiles either.

After wasting way too much filament and time, I live under the philosophy that if I didn’t weigh it, measure it or calibrate it with my own instrumentation, its all just a “guideline”.

1 Like

That looks to be the difference.

hmmmmm Would do you think happen if I set them to the same value?

I also weighed two identical prints with both brans and Bambu filament is heavier so that would make more sense.

Filament weight differences can often be due to varying densities between different brands or types of filament, even within the same material like PETG. Bambu Studio’s PETG filaments might have slightly different compositions or densities, leading to the discrepancy in filament estimates. It’s good to monitor this when planning prints to optimize material usage.

Uh yeah, it’s not density that’s the problem. Your Bambu filament is set to an insanely low flow. Flow is a multiplier on how much is extruded and at .767, it’s basically extruding 25% less filament then the other profile.

1 Like