Why don't the standard settings match recommended settings?

Hi there,

I am not an expert on 3d printing and got the X1 a few weeks ago. I’m printing with PAHT-CF for the first time. Printed the 3d Banchy and got a good result.

Just wondering. I loaded the default settings into Bambu for printing this material. Why is the print speed not matched to the recommended speed from Bambu? On the website it recommends maximum 100m/s. But in Bambu it is still set 150m/s for the inner wall printing speed and 120 m/s for the outer wall.

Or is the print speed restricted by means of the volumetric speed restriction of 8mm3/s?

So for the first print I just set everything to 100 m/s, but would it hurt to go back to the settings of 120 or 150 as in the standard profile?

Cheers,

Paul

You can change the view in slicer and see the Flow chart in “Preview” window. This will give you information whether it’s restricted by the volumetric speed.

2 Likes

I tend to start with Bambu’s settings (Generic or Bambu filament settings). Their settings are setup to compensate the extra speed and flow ability. While this hot end isn’t a beast, it’s not run of the mill either. Actually, for the cost, it’s pretty fantastic.

IMO, if you are printing Bambu filament, use their profiles. If you are printing 3rd party filaments, start with the generic profiles and run a max flow test and see what speeds you can push it up to. However, either way, I would not use the filament maker’s settings unless I was printing at those speeds (20mm - 60mm/sec).

I’m late into this post, I have been wondering this two months ago, but I found out that it’s really depending on the model layer time.

The more objects on the plate, the faster it will reach near the max volumetric speed. ie. Bambu PLA is set to 21 mm3/s, for most people printing a small medium model maybe really reaching about 4-8mm3/s speed (around 100mm/s+ 200). 21mm3/s is like 500mm/s.

Setting at 21mm3/s doesn’t mean it will always print at 21mm3/s in the filament profile. Much like driving a Porsche in school zone.

Generic profile is 12mm3/s most people see the printer prints fine, because the real time speed is around 70-100mm/s even it can reach up to 300mm/s

My experiment, I had a plate full of objects and the Generic filament was reaching near 250-275mm/s - it was causing drag filament and under-extruded layers. Again because the more objects on the plate, that allow to cooldown before layering another layer due to print head is busy printing on another object, so this allows the printhead to go full speed once returning to it. Found out that it’s way too fast for this 3rd party filament rated up between 50-100mm/s.

I lower the filament profile down to 4mm3/s and successfully cap at 100mm/s, everything prints fine now except it will just print extra hours depends on the models.

The flow rate calibration from OrcaSlicer (racetrack) does not represent the real issues, there are no seams or corners which were the problem would start with overspeed.

I wouldn’t look at this as how it will print, this is an upper limit on what the filament is capable of. They really do mean it is a “Max” volumetric speed, not so much suggested volumetric speed. However, its important to note this is the upper cap of all the speeds in a slice. There are many factors that will affect speed, this is one of the most important, but still just one of them.

The nozzle size and layer height will affect the speed as a function of the volumetric speed capability. The specific wall speeds will always slow things down if set low enough (like your analogy with a Porsche in a school zone). Cooling capacity will slow it down. Its maddening how interrelated things are.