Why not tell us which “Unavailable Models” are hidden?

To me this severely limits the value of Makerworld Collections. When a model that we have saved to a collection becomes unavailable, why not tell us what it was? Instead we are presented with a mysterious message that might as well say “a model you saved to your collection is no longer available. Good luck figuring out what it was”

6 Likes

Devils advocate, if it was so good to save you would’ve remembered :wink:

1 Like

It is likely because either the uploader deleted it, or the model was removed due to a rule violation. Even if you did figure out what it was, it’s not there anymore to find it again.

I think from a development standpoint this is harder to do. The query when showing the list is certainly just a relation to the other database table like for example:

Give me the models with the IDs 3, 10 and 9

If now he can’t find 10 it just doesn’t know what 10 was either so it also can’t display you that info.

If it would save the titles in your list, too, then it would lead to new problems. What if a model changes it’s title? Should now all lists of all users who have this model be updated? That’s a huge load of datasets to change and considered bad practice for performance and storage reasons.

TLDR: that’s a edge case feature which is some effort to develop. I would doubt it’s on a high priority for them…

Lol, true. For the things I really want to print later, I’m getting into the habit of downloading them in case they go away.

1 Like

I totally understand why something gets removed. Many reasons for that and I’m not arguing those. I like creating a lot of collections to keep my printer running all the time and it’s just frustrating when something in your collection of 30 items disappears and you have no idea what it was.

I hear you and I thought through those development challenges as well as I have a software development background. There are definitely ways to do it, but yes, it adds complexity.

Also, in the one or two cases where I DID remember what was removed, I was able to easily find the model on one of the several other model platforms out there.

Agreed. Please let us know the name of the designer and the name of the model.

They may have replaced it entirely, but there is no way of us finding out.

YouTube has this bad behaviour too. Very annoying when it’s a music video that has been removed.

Please let me know what it was, so I can find a replacment.

3 Likes

I have 50 collections (46 public, 6 private), so 100’s of designs collected for various reasons. To print soon, for comparison, for inspiration, etc.

Downloading them all, plus adding info to the download so that I know wtf it was for (titles are not always great), where it came from, what it looks like at a glance, etc. is all a huge pain in the butt.

So yeah, I totally agree with your idea. It would be very helpful.

2 Likes