Why the matt finish on the X1?

I love my Bambu Lab X1 Carbon. But one thing I like less is that I no longer get a glossy finnish on my prints. Everything is matt. Is that bcause of the high speed? Or because of the cooling? What is going on and how can I get that nice glossy finish again?

It is indeed a mix of cooling and speed.
I also prefer the glossy finish so I slowed down my print speeds and lowered the part cooling fan. I only print PLA so the AUX fan is also off.
You’ll have to test and tweak the settings to get the effect you desire.

1 Like

Read this and you’ll solve your issue.

Best of luck!

I’m usually printing 5-10 degrees above the recommended maximum, yet most of my filaments come out with a matte finish. Which is counter to what the makeshaper article is saying.

My guess is it has something to do with the printing speed and how fast the filament is melted, since the same filament printed on my creality will be glossier, with the only difference being it’s at a slightly lower temp and a MUCH slower print speed.

Thankfully i like the matte finish more. Helps hide layer lines. :slight_smile:

Temp plays a major roll but at these speeds the filament isn’t getting as hot as you think. If you want that glossy look slow the print down.

I don’t want to advise going above recommended temps but I’d guess if you left speed as is and started doing 5 degree incremental increases you might find that to get the glossy look your temps might need to be 240-260.

Thats not the reason for it at all. Its the speed at which its printed.

If someone created a way to almost instantly heat up and cool down the nozzle, they could make it so that the temp of the a tual filament stayed consistant while speeding up and slowing down. You can crank the temp up on the screeen but that only shows heater block temp. It will make it shiny again, but youll lose detail in areas where the head has to slow down because the filament will be able to match the temp of the block.

Need variable heating but its not fast enough with the current tech. Need things like watercooling.