Why is that? He changed a number of boards with others (like anyone else would do when replacing defective Bambu boards with new ones) , the only difference being that by replacing the Bambu boards with non-Bambu ones allowed for a firmware replacement. So in that regard, except for the boards replacement, i would tend to agree (to a point) that by replacing the Bambu firmware with an open source one, the X1C is no longer a a Bambulab machine. However, hardware speaking it still is.
I’ve written this 3 times.
I think the only disagreement I have is even hardware speaking, it’s not a X1C. Just my opinion though.
You’re right, it’s “The Proper X1C” ![]()
I tend to agree, it’s not really an X1C anymore. He replaced all the electronics and even the entire hotend and extruder with something else. It’d be like ripping out the guts of a Apple computer, replacing it with the motherboard from a Dell, running Windows, and still calling it an Apple.
This is the video referenced for those who haven’t seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Solk2XQcY
For conversation.
Why is it the “proper X1C”?
I think open source is just tilting at windmills in the retail space.
Is what you are asking “will Bambu ever open source their proprietary code”?
In the current, contemporary meaning of “open source”, no. In the “source available” meaning, probably not. Not impossible, just very very unlikely.
You are 100% wrong. If they do not release the source, they have no legal right to the code they’re using, and they’re essentially pirates.
By releasing modified GPL code, they are legally obligated to release the source. They could have been sued or criminally charged.
Also, any beta copies Creality distributed could also have been legally redistributed without any recourse. Any tester could have published it, no matter what NDAs they signed.
Using GPL-licensed code has privileges and consequences.
Ewilts, while you’re technically correct, there is no way any consequences (other than reputational) will ever manifest against a chinese company for GPL and other IP violations. It’s just not realistic to expect that.
I have to ask, why does it need to be open source? It’s kind of an Apple vs. Android argument. One that has no winner overall. There are basically two schools. Tight control, and great output, or less control and more features with obviously more questionable output. I’m siding on tight control, and will continue to get great output, though understandably less features. But, then again, do I really need those features? I don’t think so.
BTW, I am an equally both an Android user and Apple user (work needs) Also, both a Creality user and Bambu user. So, I do know and understand the shortcomings and pluses of both worlds. There is no clear winner, ever.
There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches. I think Bambu has done well with their approach. They have respected the license terms of the GPL components of the AC board software and the AGPL slicer software. We continue to receive software updates for the closed source components. If Bambu upholds their promise of 5 years of feature and bug fixes and 7 years of security fixes then this may be longer than any other consumer market printer.
The unfortunate reality is that companies like Creality uses open source software in violation of the license terms to create an unfair competitive advantage for themselves. Then they release the source when they are ready to abandon the product for a new model, and some people act like they’ve done a great favour for the consumers.
Recent announcement, although this isn’t what most people nowadays consider open source.
I find the focus of this topic both interesting and perplexing. I only have one friend that has a print farm, with 14 of his 30 printers Bambu Labs (A1s, P1Ps), and another dozen folks I know that have 3D printers (half at least one Bambu Labs), and I have 3 Bambu Lab printers. Except for 1 person at one point (but no longer), none of us care about anything being open source.
Is this really a thing with the majority of Bambu Labs printer owners? I got into this to just print, and I got my friend who has the print farm into it after he saw my X1C.
As someone who considers himself fairly neutral I’ll give my point of view. Neutral probably isn’t a good term because it infers middle of the road and I love them all… and try to buy them all. I’ve got Bambu, Elegoo, Voron, Prusa and Sovol printers.
About how many Bambu owners just want to print that’s hard to speculate because we can’t see the actual numbers… but I would hazard to say that with any company there is a portion of the users who just want to print and another portion who want more than what is offered.
To give a very boiled down example:
I buy an X1C… I know what I’m in for. I know I’m limited to 16 colors. I know the maximum speed I can do and get good results. If it breaks I open a ticket and/or order Bambu parts. I want a cool upgrade I wait for Bambu or a 3rd party to release it.
I buy/build a printer running mainline Klipper. I build a BoxTurtle to use as an AMS, they say I’m limited to 64 colors but I promise you people have done more. The maximum Voron kit is 350X350 but you can scale it up and go as big as you want. The number of toolheads is limited by how many you can fit in the chamber. If it breaks I can use any part I want. If I want an upgrade the options are unlimited. Like Krellboy mentioned, some open source companies have the whole printer in step file format on their Github so I can actually print parts.
One thing I’ve learned in life, and this isn’t just 3D printing, this applies to everything: It’s REALLY hard to put yourself in someone else’s head and look at things how they do. This debate comes down to what people want.
I will say this, if you’re only going to buy ONE printer then buy one that meets your goals. If you want to tinker, upgrade and do all sorts of things with the firmware… buy an open source printer. If you don’t want any of those things and just print buy a Bambu. If you want it all buy multiple printers from various companies and do it all.
Every good idea ive seen, originated from either open source communities or stratasys and was later stolen by others
Prove me wrong. Even bambus ceo says they owe alot to the open source community. They just never paid it. I believe the bambu techs and ceo most likely started as tinkerers. AKA, the people that know things about the hobby. Not just the toy makers. Toy makers slow progress because theyre afraid that if the printers arent stupid proof, they may not make pretty dragons n whatnot. Basically bowling with bumpers
Do you mean is desiring Bambu to open source their proprietary code really a thing to the majority of owners?
No, it’s barely a thing at all.
What might be confusing about this thread is the Creality has always been open source, they just wouldn’t give it to people.
Bambu is a mix of open source and proprietary, and they’ve always offered people the open source part.
The only way that can work is if it is put into escrow with independent lawyers now. If the company goes into receivership, it’s too late as they would no longer have control of the IP and the receivers would probably want to monetize it to pay any preferred creditors. Users are never preferred creditors.
Their origin story is that they were engineers at DJI who were disappointed with the quality of consumer 3D printers. Figuring they had the skills to make a better printer, something akin to the quality of the products at DJI, they created a crowd funder and went from there.
I would have to guess most engineers are the tinkering type, more often than not. Just go to a voron forum and see how many times the word engineer is used.
Just sold an h2d on craigslist(took 3 weeks at $1,300) and the guy just happened to be an engineer that worked at the same place as me.(I am not an engineer.)
I guess the point im making is that the people that bring us these fun toys, are the type that start with and love vorons, vzbots and ratrigs. Sovol went all in and just started building cheap vorons. They are also the type that use printers as tools to make more printers or ither tech items like drones.
I really just find it funny when people talk trash about the type of people that make the printers they love so much. 90% of Etsy suppliers couldnt build you a printer if their life depended on it
Not to reveal too much but like, do you live in a metro area or something? I live kind of out in the fields of corn, and have had, over 2 years, absolutely ZERO luck selling 3d printers used to the population I’m around. Old crealities I kinda get noone wants lol, but this year I’ve had listed P1S, AMS, A1, ECC at half of new price, and Ankermake at like 1/4 new, and the only response ive ever gotten is from the ship scammers.
That’s one of the most frustrating parts of trying to sell anything online currently. I just fired up the ole Ebay store to try and part out everything I don’t need.
I’m in Orlando and if I look at Offerup or any of the local only sites I see lots of people selling used printers for more than they cost new?? It makes me real curious if they get any interest at all. If so that would give me hope of listing my stuff at much more reasonable prices… and just put up with all the messages offering to pay me $2000 more than my listing if I ship to Nigeria.
